I'm stuck on boolean algebra, it has 4 variables

In summary, the IC will result in a 1 output if the number is greater than 9. The kmap found the simplest forum of the equation and avoided overlaps.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone, I'm designing a IC that will result in a 1 output if the number is > 9. So I wrote out the truth table and or'ed all the min terms and got the following:
http://img282.imageshack.us/img282/482/lastscan45vd.jpg I'm stuck now! any help would be great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
AND the MSB with each of the two preceeding bits and then OR that.

(AB)+(AC) will yield a 1 when the output is greater than 9.

Thanks for the reply but i finally figured out how k-maps work, and when i threw that big mess in the k-map it reduced down to:
z = AB + AB'C
note; B' = B complimented
here is a picture:
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3353/w0t1bp.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need the B! though. You're adding complexity by having it.

I don't understand how the kmap didn't find the simplest forum of the equation i thought it always does, I didn't overlap any 1's in my k-map so no variables should be redudnat should they?

mr_coffee said:
I don't understand how the kmap didn't find the simplest forum of the equation i thought it always does, I didn't overlap any 1's in my k-map so no variables should be redudnat should they?

You have it backward. It's because you didn't use all possible overlaps that you have redundancies. Go back this time and group your "1's" so that each group is as large as possible, taking every overlap you can get, but the smallest number of groupings possible. (In this case there are obviously only two groupings needed, so there will be two 'AND' terms.) When you do that you will see the answer.

KM

By the way: your drawing was hard to see.

mr_coffee said:

You do get the right answer if you arrange things logically:

Code:
|______________________________
|  ab |  1  |  1  |  1  |  1  |
| ab! |  1  |  1  |  0  |  0  |
| a!b |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  | 
|a!b! |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |

You see AB is one part of the solution because it works for all combinations of CD. If you look in the columns you will see AC is the other solution because the solution AC does not depend on B at all.

Thanks so much guys, my professor so told us that we should not overlap, infact we should avoid overlapping, what the heck is he talking about! I ended up with AB+AC like u guys said!

What is boolean algebra?

Boolean algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with logical operations and is used to analyze and represent logical statements. It is also known as binary algebra or symbolic logic.

What are the four variables in boolean algebra?

The four variables in boolean algebra are typically represented by the letters A, B, C, and D. They can take on the values of either 0 or 1, also known as false or true, respectively.

How do I simplify boolean expressions with four variables?

To simplify boolean expressions with four variables, you can use the laws and rules of boolean algebra, such as the distributive law, De Morgan's laws, and the identities for AND, OR, and NOT operations. You can also use truth tables to help show the relationships between the variables.

Can boolean algebra be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, boolean algebra can be applied in many real-world situations, such as in computer programming, digital electronics, and circuit design. It is also used in decision-making processes and in formulating logical arguments.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with boolean algebra and four variables?

Some common mistakes to avoid when working with boolean algebra and four variables are not properly applying the laws and rules, forgetting to use parentheses to indicate order of operations, and confusing the order of operations for AND and OR operations. It is also important to carefully check the truth tables and logic to ensure accuracy.