High Voltage Experimentation: Safety Concerns and Potential Benefits

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary: He may shock the begeezes out of himself on the high voltage, but with the low miiliamp current it should't be deadly. :smile: This is not garanteed advice. The risks are high, but if he takes all the precautions and doesn't make any mistakes, it shouldn't be too bad.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Based on my research in teh ion wind area, i have decided to try it out as a ventilation system to replace fans I am not 100% sure yet, but I'm just about ready to give in an build a 20 000volt 4miliAmpere negative ion generator, and a huge copper tube with an 80mil diameter. Jeez.. i suppose ill need 2 old voltage amps from tv's... i have no idea where I am gona find identical ones... plus the circuitry... gota make a layout 2... but if i get it going, I am gona dedicate the research to Overclock.Net So... i suppose wish me luck. Ill only do it if i find identical vamps, if i don't its a no go, because I am not spending tons of money on a monster 20kilovolt... And if i find a lot of them, then i think ill go even higher with teh power. I wonder how much my bill's gona b... Lol just found out negative ions r good for yer health

He later adds that he decided to move to 200-500kv

Should I be concerned about this persons safety?

Physics news on Phys.org
judging from his spelling alone I'd say he's already too far gone. Say your goodbyes.

Are we witnessing a Darwin Award in the making?

We all do realize that this guy is actually attempting to do this right?

What is going to happen and how can i... convince him of what is going to happen.

Smurf said:
judging from his spelling alone I'd say he's already too far gone. Say your goodbyes.

Is there a correlation between bad spelling/grammar and poor reasoning abilities?

I hope not...If so then I should already be dead.. :yuck:

Pengwuino said:
We all do realize that this guy is actually attempting to do this right?

What is going to happen and how can i... convince him of what is going to happen.

Are you sure this isn't a joke?

Rabid said:
Are you sure this isn't a joke?

Nope, this is not a joke.

I'm pretty sure the forum is full of stupid kids with too much money and no konwledge of anything and he's one of them.

Have you asked him if he has any idea what effect it may have on him? If his answer is no then I would say he shouldn't be doing it even if it won't hurt him because if he does it wrong then it may very well hurt him.

He cited some website that looks like a page where you would find instructions on how to make cold fusion or antimatter with a toothbrush and a burrito that said "this is safe!"

I say you need to find him and give him a labotomy to help save him from himself.

Pengwuino said:
He cited some website that looks like a page where you would find instructions on how to make cold fusion or antimatter with a toothbrush and a burrito that said "this is safe!"

:uhh: :uhh: :uhh:

A toothbrush and a burrito eh? :rolleyes:

If physics were that simplistic, we'd all have our doctorates now...

He may shock the begeezes out of himself on the high voltage, but with the low miiliamp current it should't be deadly. :smile: This is not garanteed advice.

The only thing that I am sure of is that he won't move enough air for ventilation.

edward said:
He may shock the begeezes out of himself on the high voltage, but with the low miiliamp current it should't be deadly. :smile: This is not garanteed advice.

Can anyone verify this.

To clarify, I mean if (if this guy really doesn't know what he's doing) this guy screws up the circuit or touches what he shouldn't touch, will that 200-500kv voltage be deadly? A quick calculation showed at the least, .1 A traveling through him (using 5M ohm resistance which is somewhat generous for a human i believe) which is far beyond the deadly range.

What kinda risks are involved here. How far is this from russian roulette lol

Pengwuino said:
Can anyone verify this.

To clarify, I mean if (if this guy really doesn't know what he's doing) this guy screws up the circuit or touches what he shouldn't touch, will that 200-500kv voltage be deadly? A quick calculation showed at the least, .1 A traveling through him (using 5M ohm resistance which is somewhat generous for a human i believe) which is far beyond the deadly range.

What kinda risks are involved here. How far is this from russian roulette lol

I would say pretty close, especially using old TV transformers for the power supply. He would need a lot of electronics to cut the amperage down to a safe level.

0.005 A 50 V 5 V 0.25 W Maximum current which would
be harmless

Seriously the voltage he is talking about can cause the heart to fibrilate and stop beating.

Pengwuino said:
He later adds that he decided to move to 200-500kv

Should I be concerned about this persons safety?
Aww, you must be mellowing. Usually your reaction to reading something like that is that if he's dumb enough to do it, he deserves whatever happens. Nice to know you've got a soft spot somewhere in that heart of yours. :wink: :biggrin:

Moonbear said:
Aww, you must be mellowing. Usually your reaction to reading something like that is that if he's dumb enough to do it, he deserves whatever happens. Nice to know you've got a soft spot somewhere in that heart of yours. :wink: :biggrin:

I would like to see more people die from their mistakes... :devil:

These people scare me. At som epoint, these people will be released into society where they could be doing important things that concern me like flying an airplane while I am on or driving near me or bagging my groceries.

Townsend said:
I would like to see more people die from their mistakes... :devil:

That might help with overpopulation :smile: Then again we would be left without a government. :rofl:

edward said:
That might help with overpopulation :smile: Then again we would be left without a government. :rofl:

or we would need a muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch larger secret service

Pengwuino said:
These people scare me. At som epoint, these people will be released into society where they could be doing important things that concern me like flying an airplane while I am on or driving near me or bagging my groceries.

Yes, but they are mostly likely to kill you by crashing into you on the street...especially if they are driving a monster sized SUV... :devil:

edward said:

The smaller the government the better so...yeah, an extra side benefit.. :smile:

1. Will this guy definitely kill himself?

No one can say for certain if someone will take their own life. Suicide is a complex issue and can be influenced by a variety of factors.

2. What are the signs that someone might be considering suicide?

Some common warning signs include talking about death or suicide, giving away possessions, withdrawing from friends and family, and expressing feelings of hopelessness or guilt.

3. How can I help someone who is struggling with suicidal thoughts?

If you are concerned about someone, reach out and let them know you care. Encourage them to seek professional help and offer to assist them in finding resources. Do not leave them alone if you believe they are an immediate danger to themselves.

4. Are mental health disorders the only cause of suicide?

No, there can be a multitude of factors that contribute to someone's decision to end their life. These can include relationship problems, financial difficulties, and traumatic life events.

5. Is there anything I can do to prevent someone from taking their own life?

While ultimately the decision to live or die is up to the individual, there are things you can do to support and show your love for someone who may be struggling. This can include listening without judgment, offering kindness and support, and helping them access professional help.