"Exploring the Meaning of 'Jerk': What Is It?

• Thread starter AMF8
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jerk
In summary: As you push harder, the acceleration increases. This is an example of jerk.In summary, jerk is the third derivative of the position vector and is the rate of change of acceleration. It is useful in measuring non-constant acceleration in objects, such as in rollercoaster design. It is also seen in everyday examples, such as a car accelerating from a stop.
AMF8
What is Jerk? I have a rough idea of what it is, but I would like to know more.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe try running a quick search. I know that this was addressed recently somewhere in PF, and I believe the response came from Astronuc.

It is the rate of change of acceleration.

arildno said:
It is the rate of change of acceleration.
Given the nature of our GD interactions, I'm surprised that my name didn't enter into your response.:biggrin:

Danger said:
Given the nature of our GD interactions, I'm surprised that my name didn't enter into your response.:biggrin:
I knew you knew it, but you know so much that it takes a while even for you to rummage through all your knowledge. You're only superhuman. :smile:

I didn't mean that; I meant because I'm a jerk. (And I didn't know the answer. I just knew that I saw it mentioned somewhere.:redface: )

Jerk is the 3rd derivative of the position vector

1st derivatieve is velocity, 2nd is acceleration, 3rd is jerk, etc

I know all of that...what is its purpose?

There's very many posts on 'jerk' in the arhive, it's a recurring subject (you can sya I posted about jerk in this very forum just yesterday!).

Many important examples of objects in motion with a non-conatnt accelartion clearly exist in physics, for example simple harmonic motion, but simply becasue the accelartion is not necessarily mean that it is useful to know the jerk of the object.

There usual exmaple of an area (in engineering) where knowing the jerk is useful is rollercoaster design. It is generally agreed that non-constant accelartion in the car as it goes around the track is what gives the ride it's sense of danger, so it is useful to measure the jerk.

AMF8 said:
To be mean?

AMF8 said:
If you're... in a bumper car, and you're going at whatever constant acceleration, towards your stationary sleeping friend, and you smash into him, you're going to be changing your rate of acceleration.

AMF8,
For a little more information, check this out :smile:

Here's a simple example: when the space shuttle is launched, the mass decreases as fuel is used, causing the acceleration to increase.

edit: another simple example: starting off from a stop in your car, you push on the gas pedal and begin to accelerate.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of a 'jerk'?

The term 'jerk' can have multiple meanings, but generally refers to someone who is rude, obnoxious, or unpleasant. It can also refer to a sudden, sharp movement or a type of seasoning for food.

2. Where did the term 'jerk' originate from?

The origin of the term is unclear, but it is believed to have come from the Old English word 'gyrcan' meaning 'to make a sudden movement'. It also has roots in the Spanish word 'charqui', which refers to dried meat that was popular among early Spanish explorers.

3. Is 'jerk' considered a derogatory term?

It can be considered derogatory, depending on the context in which it is used. While it is often used to describe someone who is unpleasant or rude, it can also be used playfully or as a term of endearment among friends. However, it is important to be mindful of how the term may be perceived by others.

4. Can someone be a 'jerk' without intending to be?

Yes, someone can exhibit behaviors that are considered 'jerky' without necessarily intending to be rude or unpleasant. It could be due to a lack of awareness or social skills, or simply a difference in communication styles. It's important to consider the intentions behind someone's actions before labeling them as a 'jerk'.

5. How can we better understand the meaning of 'jerk'?

To better understand the meaning of 'jerk', it's important to consider the context in which the term is being used and the potential impact it may have on others. It's also helpful to communicate and clarify any misunderstandings or assumptions before labeling someone as a 'jerk'.