Natural Selection, why not even better?

In summary, while natural selection can explain the traits of current species, it is difficult to understand why some advantageous traits have not evolved in other species. This can be attributed to the trade-off between usefulness and energy cost, where organisms only retain traits that are essential to their survival and reproduction. While mutations may have occurred in other species, they may not have provided a significant survival advantage for humans and thus were not retained."
Rocky9242 said:
A lot of animals have evolved rotary bearings. It would not be much of a stretch from there to place a wheel on the end of that axel.

You don't appear to have read this thread or the wiki article you linked very well. A wheel and axle are nearly impossible to develop by evolution.

Biology news on Phys.org
Rocky9242 said:
A lot of animals have evolved rotary bearings.

By your own reference, we know of no macroscale examples.

Drakkith said:
You don't appear to have read this thread or the wiki article you linked very well. A wheel and axle are nearly impossible to develop by evolution.

As of 2011, the weevil is in the details. See my previous comment https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...hy-not-even-better.765834/page-2#post-4872429. It seems eminently possible in arthropods, just not likely.

The conclusion I drew there was that wheels aren't evolved likely because they are impractical and inefficient for most uses (uneven "road"; as seen in the weevil example tiring for muscles). But I know of no way to test that beyond the weevil find.

Jupiter60 said:
Why haven't any animals evolved wheels? Surely that would be an improvement for speed.

Would wheels really be an improvement in speed? Sure, if you're on something perfectly flat and straight like a road, wheels are advantageous, but life did not evolve in an environment with roads. For moving on uneven terrain, wheels seem less advantageous than legs.