Simple challenging fluid mechanics question(buoyancy)

In summary: That would also lower the pressure.In summary, the pressure on the lower surface of the block named CD changes depending on how it is cut.
farhad_mech
hello fluid knowers!
here is a question i have asked from several students every time a different answer was given to me.
now let's see what is your answer mechanicals!

question:
we have a steel block floating in mercury as shown below:
http://www.pikipimp.com/pp/pimped_photo/s/image/41/662/573/1.JPG?ts=1235241467627

now we bring the block out of mercury and cut a piece of block for example EFHG and then again put it in the mercury,the question is how pressure on the lower surface of block named CD changes?
here is possible answers:
-it is equal in both states
-it is lower in second state
-it is lower in first state
-it depends on how we cut the block

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
It is lower in the second state. Basically, you have a block with the same dimensions and a lower weight in the second state than in the first. It floats higher and the pressure on the bottom surface is lower.

you were near the right answer but i have another opinion, i will give it away tonight.

Russ is right. Its a simple statics problem. Less weight means there is less mass to be supported against gravity and since the geometry of CD didn't change the pressure will be lower.

Second way the pressure would be less.

i can confirm that your answers were right,but i think there is an exception,if you cut the piece in this way:
-EF and HG can have any length
-Eh and FG are cut so that their length is equal to AC or BD,i mean if AC and BD are for example 1 [m],EH and FG are cut so that their length is 0.99999 [m]
in this way the pressure would be very very near to first state and we can take them equal.
what's your opinion?

They can be approximated to be equal but are not.

farhad_mech said:
i can confirm that your answers were right,but i think there is an exception,if you cut the piece in this way:
-EF and HG can have any length
-Eh and FG are cut so that their length is equal to AC or BD,i mean if AC and BD are for example 1 [m],EH and FG are cut so that their length is 0.99999 [m]
in this way the pressure would be very very near to first state and we can take them equal.
what's your opinion?
If the slot is cut such that mercury can flow into this cut slot, then if you do what you're suggesting, then yes, the pressure is effectively the same with only some small deviation due to the volume of material left between the two remaining sections.

I think that looking at your diagram, it is assumed that mercury won't ever be able to enter this volume (EFGH) that was removed. If that were the case, then the block would only ever float higher and result in lower pressure.

Thats a pretty ******** ambiguous question if you ask me.

Very very near does not make them equal. Bottom line remove material = lower pressure.

And for another thing cutting EH to = AC would remove that section ACEH from the main block.

Last edited:

1. What is buoyancy?

Buoyancy is the upward force exerted by a fluid on an object immersed in it. It is a result of the difference in pressure between the top and bottom of the object, and it is affected by the density of the fluid and the volume of the object.

2. How do you calculate buoyancy?

The buoyant force can be calculated using Archimedes' principle, which states that the buoyant force is equal to the weight of the fluid displaced by the object. This can be represented by the equation FB = ρVg, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the volume of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is an example of buoyancy in everyday life?

An example of buoyancy in everyday life is a boat floating on water. The boat displaces a volume of water equal to its own weight, resulting in an upward force that keeps it afloat. This same principle applies to swimming and other water-based activities.

4. How does the shape of an object affect its buoyancy?

The shape of an object can affect its buoyancy by changing the amount of fluid it displaces. A more streamlined object will displace less fluid and therefore have less buoyant force, while a bulkier object will displace more fluid and have a greater buoyant force.

5. What is the difference between buoyancy and gravity?

Buoyancy is an upward force exerted by a fluid on an object, while gravity is a downward force exerted by the Earth on all objects. Buoyancy is dependent on the properties of the fluid and the object, while gravity is a constant force. In some cases, buoyancy can counteract gravity and allow objects to float on the surface of a fluid.