How Does the Denominator x+a Become 1-t in Integral Substitution?

In summary, substitution in integral is a technique used to simplify and solve integrals by replacing a variable with a different expression. It is most useful when the integrand contains a difficult function, and the substitution variable should be chosen to simplify the integral. The steps for substitution in integral are identifying u, rewriting the integrand, calculating du/dx, substituting u and du, integrating with respect to u, and substituting back in the original variable. However, it may not always work and other methods should be considered for more complex integrals.
Belgium 12
Hi members,

see attached Pdf file.
For a<0,write b=-a and let x=bt.Then

My question:

how becomes the denominator x+a to 1-t? I don't see it

Thank you

Attachments

• 3.222.2.proof.pdf
    20.4 KB · Views: 278
Physics news on Phys.org
The integral is
[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{x^{\mu-1}dx}{x+ a}[/tex]

You attachment says "if a< 0 let b= -a" so becomes
[tex]\int_0^\infty \frac{x^{\mu-1}dx}{x- b}[/tex]

and "let x= bt". The denominator is x- b= bt- b= b(t- 1)

Factor out "-b" leave 1- t in the denominator,

1. What is substitution in integral?

Substitution in integral is a technique used to simplify and solve integrals by replacing a variable with a different expression. This is also known as the u-substitution method.

2. When should I use substitution in integral?

Substitution in integral is most useful when the integrand contains a function that is difficult to integrate, such as trigonometric functions or exponential functions.

3. How do I choose the substitution variable?

The substitution variable, usually denoted as u, should be chosen in a way that simplifies the integral. This can be done by looking for patterns or using trigonometric identities.

4. What are the steps for substitution in integral?

The steps for substitution in integral are as follows: 1. Identify the substitution variable u. 2. Rewrite the integrand in terms of u. 3. Calculate du/dx. 4. Substitute the new expression for u and du into the integral. 5. Integrate the new expression with respect to u. 6. Substitute back in the original variable.

5. Are there any limitations to substitution in integral?

Substitution in integral may not always work, especially when the integrand does not have a clear substitution variable. It is important to also consider other methods, such as integration by parts, when solving more complex integrals.