A failing in 3d gradients?

In summary: However, in this example, the gradient is not continuous at the origin, making it a non-differentiable function. This means that while it has partial derivatives on the x and y axes, it is not differentiable overall. Therefore, the argument of the gradient in cartesian does not hold in this case. This is a common occurrence in higher dimensions, as there are functions that have directional derivatives on any straight line through the origin, but do not have a Jacobian differential.
bmrick
So my question is regarding the gradient of a function. Suppose we have a function expressed In cylindrical coordinates. Its expressed as z=rcos2@

I expressed the equation in cylindrical, but for the sake of my logic I'll now talk about it in cartesian. It appears that dz/dx and dz/dy at the origin are both equal to one, and so the gradient would imply (back into cylindrical coordinates) dz\Dr at the 45 degree angle is not what the graph implies, What am I missing here?

It seems to me that d(dz/ dr) \d@ is still valid as a gradient?

Isn't the argument of the gradient in cartesian that dz/dy should not change much over small changes in x, and yet this is not true in this example.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The gradient, whether in one or several variables, is a derivative, not a second derivative, like your "d(dz/dr)/d@".

bmrick said:
So my question is regarding the gradient of a function. Suppose we have a function expressed In cylindrical coordinates. Its expressed as z=rcos2@

I expressed the equation in cylindrical, but for the sake of my logic I'll now talk about it in cartesian. It appears that dz/dx and dz/dy at the origin are both equal to one, and so the gradient would imply (back into cylindrical coordinates) dz\Dr at the 45 degree angle is not what the graph implies, What am I missing here?

It seems to me that d(dz/ dr) \d@ is still valid as a gradient?

Isn't the argument of the gradient in cartesian that dz/dy should not change much over small changes in x, and yet this is not true in this example.

If I understood correctly, this is true only when the gradient itself is continuous.

What is a failing in 3D gradients?

A failing in 3D gradients refers to a situation where the colors or shades in a 3D image do not transition smoothly, resulting in a choppy or distorted appearance.

What causes a failing in 3D gradients?

A failing in 3D gradients can be caused by several factors, including low resolution of the image, improper lighting in the 3D environment, or incorrect settings in the software used to create or render the image.

How can a failing in 3D gradients be fixed?

To fix a failing in 3D gradients, you can try adjusting the lighting and shading settings in the software, increasing the resolution of the image, or using specialized tools or plugins to smooth out the gradients.

Is a failing in 3D gradients a common issue?

Yes, a failing in 3D gradients is a common issue in 3D graphics and can occur in various software and platforms. However, with proper techniques and tools, it can usually be resolved.

Can a failing in 3D gradients affect the overall quality of an image?

Yes, a failing in 3D gradients can significantly impact the quality of an image, making it look amateurish or unprofessional. It is important to address this issue in order to achieve a realistic and visually appealing 3D image.