Where can I find a 3D drawing of the Boeing 747 landing gear?

• Boeing
  • Thread starter Hodgie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gear
In summary, a student is researching a landing gear for a Boeing 747. They are looking for a downloadable 3d drawing or someone who has one to share. If they can find the dimensions, they will be able to draw it themselves.
Hodgie
Hey guys,
I'm a student currently studying for a higher degree in mechanical engineering. I am undertaking a project focusing on the landing gear of a typical boeing 747 (400).
I plan to do a finite element analysis on the landing structures.
My query is would it be possible to find a downloadable 3d drawing of the structure anywhere, or if somebody would have one the would be willing to share with me.
If i could even find the dimensions, i could draw it myself.
Any help would be massively appreciated.
Thanks in advance..
<< e-mail address deleted by berkeman >>

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe Boeing uses the Catia software package to design all their parts (which an't free, nor cheap).

In all honesty, it depends on the resolution of your analysis. You really don't want to have every single part inside the landing gear structure, or you will need a super computer and a months time just to solve one case in your test matrix.

I would just try to do the very basic, fundamental elements of the landing gear that actually serve major structural functions. Anything else is not time efficient, in my opinion.

I would suggest a patent search. That might give you actual dimensions.

That's a pretty tall order. What will you use for your FEA? Don't forget that most student versions of FEA programs are limited to a certain number of nodes.

I agree, Its just the basic structure of the landing struts i would be interested in analysing. I'm looking for overall dimensions and the structural shape of the struts. I'm planning to do a stress analysis on the frameworks, and suspension systems... Anyone able to guide me in the right direction??

Interesting. I just saw this post. I'm currently working on a large test rig that simulates the 747 landing gear for the purpose of testing the actuators for the body and wing gears. My company makes this particular cylinder for the 747. I see you posted a month ago so it may be too late but I could talk to some of the Boeing engineers and see if they would like to help you in your endeavour. Let me know.

It is a bit late, I've actually changed my project since.
Thanks for your time

Hello!
I'm a student currently studying aerospace engineering and I want to start a project about a landing gear, focusing on the mechanism analysis and simulate its kinematics in CATIA.
If anybody would like to share with me some drawings of an frontal landing gear from a plane, military or civilian, doesn't matter, it would be perfect.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Here's a nice photo of a landing gear.

Touchdown-4-c.jpg

thanks! but I need a bit more than that.:smile:

What is the purpose of the landing gear on a Boeing 747?

The landing gear on a Boeing 747 serves the important function of supporting the weight of the aircraft during takeoff, landing, and taxiing. It also allows for smooth transition between the ground and the air, providing stability and control for the pilot.

How many landing gear does a Boeing 747 have?

A Boeing 747 has a total of 16 landing gear, with four main landing gear under the wings and two nose landing gear under the front of the fuselage.

What materials are used to make the landing gear on a Boeing 747?

The landing gear on a Boeing 747 is made primarily of high-strength steel and aluminum alloys. These materials are chosen for their durability, strength, and light weight, allowing for efficient operation of the aircraft.

How does the landing gear on a Boeing 747 retract and extend?

The landing gear on a Boeing 747 is operated hydraulically, with the use of pumps, valves, and actuators. When the pilot initiates the retraction or extension of the landing gear, the hydraulic system activates to move the gear up or down into the desired position.

What safety features are in place for the landing gear on a Boeing 747?

The landing gear on a Boeing 747 is equipped with several safety features, including sensors that detect any abnormalities or malfunctions, warning systems for the pilot, and backup systems in case of hydraulic or electrical failures. Additionally, regular maintenance and inspections are conducted to ensure the landing gear is functioning properly and safely.