Discrete mathematics and its application 2.4 problem 26

In summary, the goal is to find a formula for when m is a positive integer and the summation of the flooring function of k^(1/3) is taken, denoted as \sum_{k=0}^m \lfloor k^(1/3) \rfloor. By expanding the summation and examining the inverse function of x^(1/3), we can see that the number of terms equal to 1, 2, etc. will correspond to the range of k values for each term. This allows us to determine the total number of terms in the summation, which is equal to m.
GoGoDancer12

Homework Statement

Find a formula for when m [tex]\sum[/tex] k=0 the flooring function of[k1/3 ] ,m is a positive integer.

Homework Equations

n[tex]\prod[/tex] j=m aj

The Attempt at a Solution

the flooring function of[k1/3] = K

the summation of K is [tex]\frac{m(m+1)}{2}[/tex]

There's a table of useful summation formulas in the Discrete Mathematics and Its Application sixth edition textbook pg.157 and that's where I got the summation formula for K. Just plug in m in the formula for the summation of K.

Physics news on Phys.org
omit the second part

2. Homework Equations

nLaTeX Code: \\prod j=m aj
...not part of the problem

omit the second part

2. Homework Equations

nLaTeX Code: \\prod j=m aj
...not part of the problem

It's not clear to me what you're asking. When [tex]m\sum_{k = 0}^? floor(k^{1/3})[/tex] does what?

I have to find the summation formula for floor(K1/3):; and m is the on top of the summation symbol.

Start by expanding the summation:
floor(1) + floor(21/3) + floor(31/3) + ... + floor(m1/3).

Use enough terms so that you can find out how many of the terms will be equal to 1, to 2, to 3, and so on. That's what I would start with.

GoGoDancer12 said:

Homework Statement

Find a formula for when m [tex]\sum[/tex] k=0 the flooring function of[k1/3 ] ,m is a positive integer.

Homework Equations

n[tex]\prod[/tex] j=m aj

The Attempt at a Solution

the flooring function of[k1/3] = K

the summation of K is [tex]\frac{m(m+1)}{2}[/tex]

There's a table of useful summation formulas in the Discrete Mathematics and Its Application sixth edition textbook pg.157 and that's where I got the summation formula for K. Just plug in m in the formula for the summation of K.

I'd be willing to offer some help but I can't quite read you equations! Could you try and format them a bit better?

GogoDancer12 wants to find a closed for expression for
[tex]\sum_{k = 0}^m \lfloor k^{1/3}\rfloor[/tex]

The [itex]\lfloor[/itex] and [itex]\rfloor[/itex] symbols are for the "floor" function, the greatest integer less than or equal to the specified argument.

exactly :smile:

Again, try expanding as I suggested in post #6. You're going to get a bunch of terms that are 1, a bunch that are 2, and so forth. See if you can figure a way to count how many 1s, 2s, and so forth.

after expanding the summation I got this :

1+1+1+1+1+1+m

after expanding the summation some more I got this:
1+1+1+1+1+1+1+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+2+...+m

and I'm still lost.

Last edited:
How many 1s are there? How many 2s? 3s? Can you find any pattern? At what value of k do the 1s turn to 2s? Do the 2s turn to 3s? Are you sure the last number will be m?

Here's a tip: look at the inverse function of [itex]x^{1/3}[/itex], which is [itex]x^{3}[/itex]. Then you'll see this that:

[tex]\left\lfloor k^{1/3}\right\rfloor=1 \Rightarrow k \in \left[1,2^{3}\left[=\left[1,8\left[[/tex]

[tex]\left\lfloor k^{1/3}\right\rfloor=2 \Rightarrow k \in \left[2^{3},3^{3}\left[=\left[8,27\left[[/tex]

and so on...

From this you should be able to count the number of 1,2,etc.

1. What is discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics is a branch of mathematics that studies mathematical structures that are distinct and separate, rather than continuous. It involves the study of discrete objects and their properties, such as integers, graphs, and logical statements.

2. What are some real-world applications of discrete mathematics?

Discrete mathematics has many applications in various fields, including computer science, cryptography, engineering, and finance. It is used to model and solve real-world problems, such as scheduling, network optimization, and data analysis.

3. What does problem 26 in application 2.4 of discrete mathematics involve?

Problem 26 in application 2.4 of discrete mathematics involves solving a specific problem using mathematical concepts and techniques from the field. Without further context, it is impossible to determine the exact nature of the problem.

4. What skills are required to excel in discrete mathematics?

To excel in discrete mathematics, one needs to have a strong foundation in algebra, logic, and set theory. It also requires critical thinking, problem-solving, and abstract reasoning skills. Familiarity with computer programming and algorithms can also be helpful.

5. How can I improve my understanding of discrete mathematics?

To improve your understanding of discrete mathematics, it is important to practice solving problems and working through proofs. It can also be helpful to read textbooks and attend lectures or online courses. Collaborating with others and discussing mathematical concepts can also enhance your understanding.