Discover the Three Ions of Oxygen: Names & Formulae Revealed!

In summary, the three ions are Superoxide (two oxygen atoms, negative one charge), Peroxide (two oxygen atoms, negative two charge), and Oxygen (one oxygen atom, negative two charge).
Dometrios
The Question:

- "Oxygen forms three separate ions. What are the names and formulae of the three ions?"

Now I am familiar with the ion "Oxide" which is the Oxygen atom with a 2- (negative two) charge, but I cannot find any information on these other two, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

[SOLVED]

Answer: Oxide (one oxygen atom, negative two charge), Superoxide (two oxygen atoms, negative one charge), Peroxide (two oxygen atoms, negative two charge)A thanks to both Fewmet and Ygggdrasil for their help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Dometrios said:
The Question:

- "Oxygen forms three separate ions. What are the names and formulae of the three ions?"

Now I am familiar with the ion "Oxide" which is the Oxygen atom with a 2- (negative two) charge, but I cannot find any information on these other two, any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

It is difficult to say anything without just giving you the answer...

Does it help to know that the other two ions are free radicals?

It seems I may have posted this on the wrong part of the forums, this question pertains to a practice sheet. It was stated that we could use the internet, I believe the issue for me was simply using the wrong search parameters, fortunately they brought me here. This is not an issue of a grade more so reference material. I would appreciate a straight answer but I understand if you wish for me to "figure it out".

To what you stated regarding radicals, I have found material referring to ROS and polyatomic ions involving oxygen such as superoxide, peroxide, and hydroxyl. I am not entirely sure if this is what I am looking for as I'd imagine the question refers to ions of Oxygen not ions of molecules containing Oxygen.

Superoxide (O2-) and peroxide (O22-) involve only oxygen and are probably what you are looking for.

Ygggdrasil said:
Superoxide (O2-) and peroxide (O22-) involve only oxygen and are probably what you are looking for.

That's what I was thinking, too.

Dometrios: From a teacher's perspective, I suspect the point of the question is to get you to see that "ion" can mean more than one nucleus is involved.

OK, thanks for clarifying that. So in truth the answer was right in front of me all along it was just that I misunderstood the definition of "ion". Thanks for the help, this should prove quite useful during our next test.

1. What are the three ions of oxygen?

The three ions of oxygen are oxide (O2-), peroxide (O2-2), and superoxide (O-2).

2. What is the formula for oxide?

The formula for oxide is O2-.

3. What is the formula for peroxide?

The formula for peroxide is O2-2.

4. What is the formula for superoxide?

The formula for superoxide is O-2.

5. How are these ions formed?

These ions are formed when oxygen atoms gain or lose electrons. Oxide has gained two electrons, peroxide has gained two electrons and an additional two electrons, and superoxide has gained one electron.