Vector calc, gradient vector fields

In summary, the conversation discusses whether the given vector field is a gradient vector field. The participants use calculus concepts such as partial derivatives and anti-derivatives to try and find a function that satisfies the given vector field. They also discuss the properties of gradient and curl to determine if the given field is a gradient vector field. Ultimately, they conclude that the field is not a gradient vector field.
calculusisrad

Homework Statement

Is F = (2ye^x)i + x(sin2y)j + 18k a gradient vector field?

The Attempt at a Solution

Yeah I just don't know...I started to find some partial derivatives but I really don't know what to do here. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
hi calculusisrad! :smile:

(try using the X2 button just above the Reply box :wink:)

learn: div(curl) = 0, curl(grad) = 0

does that help? :smile:

For any g(x,y), [itex]\nabla g= \partial g/\partial x\vec{i}+ \partial g/\partial y\vec{j}+ \partial g/\partial z\vec{k}[/itex].

So is there a function g such that
[tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}= 2ye^x[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial z}= 18[/tex]
and
[tex]\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}= x sin(2y)[/tex]? One way to answer that is to try to find g by finding anti-derivatives. Another is to use the fact that as long as the derivatives are continuous (which is the case here), the mixed second derivatives are equal:
[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\left(\frac{\partial g}{\partial y}\right)= \frac{\partial}{\partial y}\left(\frac{\partial g}{\partial x}\right)[/tex]
Is
[tex]\frac{\partial x sin(2y)}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial 2ye^x}{\partial y}[/tex]?
etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you soo much :)
I am still confused, though. So if I can prove that dg/dxy = dg/dyx and dg/dxz = dg/dzx and dg/dyz = dg/dzy , I will have proved that F is a gradient vector field, correct?

I found that dg/dxy = sin2y, and d/dyx = 2e^x. Since they are not equal, that means that F is not a gradient vector field?

Thanks

hi calculusisrad! :smile:

(have a curly d: ∂ and try using the X2 and X2 buttons just above the Reply box :wink:)
calculusisrad said:
So if I can prove that dg/dxy = dg/dyx and dg/dxz = dg/dzx and dg/dyz = dg/dzy , I will have proved that F is a gradient vector field, correct?

(your notation is terrible :yuck:, but …) yes :smile:

this is because you're actually proving that curlF = 0,

and if F is a gradient, then F = ∇φ, and so curlF = (curl∇)φ = 0 :wink:
I found that dg/dxy = sin2y, and d/dyx = 2e^x. Since they are not equal, that means that F is not a gradient vector field?

yup :biggrin:

1. What is a vector field?

A vector field is a mathematical concept that assigns a vector (such as magnitude and direction) to each point in a given space. It is often used to represent physical quantities such as force, velocity, and electric or magnetic fields.

2. What is a gradient vector field?

A gradient vector field is a type of vector field that represents the direction and magnitude of the steepest increase or decrease of a scalar function. It is represented by a vector with components equal to the partial derivatives of the function with respect to each variable.

3. How is a gradient vector field useful in vector calculus?

A gradient vector field is useful in vector calculus because it can be used to calculate the directional derivative of a scalar field, and to find the maximum and minimum values of the function. It is also used in line and surface integrals, and in solving differential equations.

4. What is the relationship between gradient vector fields and conservative vector fields?

A gradient vector field is a type of conservative vector field, meaning that the line integral of the field along any closed path is equal to zero. This is because the gradient of a scalar function only depends on the starting and ending points, not the path taken.

5. Can a vector field be both conservative and non-conservative?

No, a vector field cannot be both conservative and non-conservative. A vector field can only be one or the other. If a vector field is conservative, its line integral along any closed path is equal to zero. If a vector field is non-conservative, its line integral along any closed path is not equal to zero.