Inefficiency from redirected thrust?

• Thread starter _greg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thrust
In summary, the conversation is about the loss of thrust in redirecting it for Harrier jets and how this loss is dependent on factors such as turbulence and friction in the redirection duct. The person is also curious if there are ways to engineer the redirection to minimize this loss. There is also mention of comparing the older Harrier design to the newer F-35 design to see if there were any changes in the ducting mechanism.
_greg
I am trying to figure out how much thrust would be lost in redirecting it.
I understand that that harrier jets redirect their thrust downwards to generate upward thrust but surely they lose some efficiency due to turbulence and friction inside the redirection duct.
My question is how much is lost? also, what is that loss dependent on? and finally are there any ways to engineer the redirection better so that less thrust is lost.
Thanks in advance for any help in this.

Engineering news on Phys.org
greg said:
I am trying to figure out how much thrust would be lost in redirecting it.
I understand that that harrier jets redirect their thrust downwards to generate upward thrust but surely they lose some efficiency due to turbulence and friction inside the redirection duct.
My question is how much is lost? also, what is that loss dependent on? and finally are there any ways to engineer the redirection better so that less thrust is lost.
Thanks in advance for any help in this.

I would think you could learn a lot by contrasting the older Harrier jet design with the newer F-35 STO/VOL design. Did they change the ducting mechanism for the newer F-35?

1. What is "Inefficiency from redirected thrust"?

Inefficiency from redirected thrust is a phenomenon that occurs when a jet engine's thrust is redirected away from the direction of travel, resulting in a decrease in efficiency and performance.

2. What causes inefficiency from redirected thrust?

Inefficiency from redirected thrust is caused by the redirection of the engine's thrust, which creates a force that works against the direction of travel and decreases the overall efficiency of the engine.

3. How does inefficiency from redirected thrust affect aircraft performance?

Inefficiency from redirected thrust can have a significant impact on aircraft performance, as it decreases the amount of thrust available for propulsion and can result in decreased speed and maneuverability.

4. Are there ways to mitigate inefficiency from redirected thrust?

Yes, there are various techniques and technologies that can help mitigate inefficiency from redirected thrust, such as using thrust vectoring or nozzle designs that minimize thrust redirection.

5. What are the potential consequences of inefficiency from redirected thrust?

The consequences of inefficiency from redirected thrust can include decreased fuel efficiency, reduced range and speed, and increased wear and tear on the engine. It can also impact the safety and reliability of the aircraft.