Carbon-14 Dating: Accuracy and Other Methods

• Thread starter JasonRox
  • Start date
In summary: C14 carbon dating is precise enough to answer numerous questions about historical...In summary, the college teacher's claim that carbon-14 dating is inaccurate is not supported by evidence. Various other methods are available to scientists that can be more accurate than carbon-14 dating.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
A friend of mine and I got into this conversation, and he said his college teachers had this talk about how it is highly inaccurate.

I thought this to be silly because if it were highly inaccurate, then why would they even rely on it.

I understand that it may be inaccurate under certain circumstances, but I doubt it's highly inaccurate most of the time. If this was the case, scientist wouldn't use it period.

For areas that carbon-14 dating is not possible, they normally use the skills of geology and/or the environment surrounding it (like animal bones or plants). If these other methods are considered pretty inaccurate compared to carbon-14 dating, and if they say carbon-14 is inaccurate in itself, that makes the other methods utterly useless to rely on. Some scientists rely on these other methods, especially the paleonanthropologists in South Africa.

Can someone please explain?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
JasonRox said:
A friend of mine and I got into this conversation, and he said his college teachers had this talk about how it is highly inaccurate.

I thought this to be silly because if it were highly inaccurate, then why would they even rely on it.

I understand that it may be inaccurate under certain circumstances, but I doubt it's highly inaccurate most of the time. If this was the case, scientist wouldn't use it period.

For areas that carbon-14 dating is not possible, they normally use the skills of geology and/or the environment surrounding it (like animal bones or plants). If these other methods are considered pretty inaccurate compared to carbon-14 dating, and if they say carbon-14 is inaccurate in itself, that makes the other methods utterly useless to rely on. Some scientists rely on these other methods, especially the paleonanthropologists in South Africa.

Can someone please explain?

c14 dating is not usually used on things that are extremely old since c14 has a 1/2 life of ~5700 years. if you try to analyze a sample that is millions of years old, it will be extremely hard to find any c14 atoms around. scientists use other isotopes of things like potassium to date much older materials. C14 can/should only be used for things that are suspected of being <~70,000 years old. potassium on the other hand has a half life of over 1 billion years, which makes it a much better candidate to use to do radiometric dating of old materials.

Radio carbon dating is only for samples less than 40000 years old and they must be still in organic state. Google for other dating techniques such as magnetostratigraphy, Luminescence dating or thermoluminescence...for more infor on dating

That is exactly what I mentionned.

I told him that you can't date for anything to much older than like 20 000 because there are relatively little amounts of C-14.

So is the method accurate for things like Egyptian mummies?

I'm pretty sure C-14 dating would work fine for Egyptian mummies, seeing as (on average) they are only 5000 years old tops.

Okay well, my friend just informed me that it is believed Ancient Egyptians used Uranium/Plutonium to rub over the wrappings, which may cause an issue with the particle decay of common C-14...

lolipop said:
Okay well, my friend just informed me that it is believed Ancient Egyptians used Uranium/Plutonium to rub over the wrappings, which may cause an issue with the particle decay of common C-14...

Plutonium? That would be a neat trick, since the Ancient Egyptians would have needed a time machine in order to go into the 20th century AD to get plutonium and then gone back to rub it on those wrappings. It's not like you could just go into a corner pyramid and buy the stuff.

If they had rubbed uranium on the wrappings, that could be detected and corrected for.

Your friend is full of baloney, to put it nicely.

For paleoanthropologists who want to date, say, australopithecene fossils that are several million years old, they use potassium-argon dating. Which is accurate from ~100,000 to several billion years ago.

I uploaded a radiocarbon dating tutorial:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=111084

Last edited by a moderator:
Mattara said:
I uploaded a radiocarbon dating tutorial:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=111084

Currently waiting for approval.

Will it be readable for someone like me?

The only thing I know about chemistry and the sort is from reading Asimov books on science (non-fiction).

I know mathematics, but I think that's irrelevant here.

Last edited by a moderator:
JasonRox said:
Will it be readable for someone like me?

Every PF user will be able to read it once the moderators have approved it :D

Well you need to have adobe reader to view it, but i think you have it.

The main problem is - how you define 'highly inaccurate'?

1% error in case of 191 years old wooden plank is too much to say whether it was used during Battle of Waterloo.

10% error in case of 1500 years old piece of wood is enough to say it wasn't used for Jesus crucifiction.

C14 carbon dating is precise enough to answer numerous questions about historical objects.

Sometimes it may fail, but then there is no method or device used in mesurements that gives always correct results. Last year I bought 4 boards to replace rotten ones in the porch. I have measured several times, yet what I brough home was 5mm thinner than needed :(

If atoms decay and turn into energy..? Does that mean that the universe will become matterless in a super-duper long time?

AFAIK many isotopes are considered stable and they are final products of decay chains. So they should stay forever.

What is Carbon-14 Dating?

Carbon-14 dating is a method used by scientists to determine the age of organic materials. It works by measuring the amount of radioactive carbon-14 in the material and comparing it to the amount of stable carbon-12. As living organisms absorb carbon-14 from the atmosphere, the amount in their bodies remains constant. However, once they die, the carbon-14 begins to decay at a predictable rate, allowing scientists to calculate the age of the sample.

How accurate is Carbon-14 Dating?

Carbon-14 dating is generally considered to be accurate within a range of 100-300 years. This means that if a sample is dated to be 10,000 years old, the actual age could be anywhere from 9,700 to 10,300 years old. The accuracy of the method depends on several factors, including the quality of the sample and the calibration of the equipment used.

What are some other methods used for dating materials?

In addition to Carbon-14 dating, scientists also use methods such as potassium-argon dating, uranium-lead dating, and thermoluminescence dating to determine the age of materials. Each method has its own strengths and limitations, and often multiple methods are used in conjunction to obtain a more accurate estimation of age.

How does Carbon-14 Dating help us understand the past?

Carbon-14 dating is an important tool for understanding the past because it allows scientists to accurately date organic materials, such as fossils and artifacts. By determining the age of these materials, scientists can piece together a timeline of events and understand how cultures and species have evolved over time.

Are there any limitations to Carbon-14 Dating?

While Carbon-14 dating is a valuable method, it does have some limitations. For example, it can only be used to date materials that were once alive and have since died. It is also not as accurate for samples that are older than 50,000 years, as the amount of carbon-14 in these samples is very small and difficult to measure. Additionally, contamination of the sample can also affect the accuracy of the results.