The Pollution of Batteries: Tax Implications

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Batteries
In summary: Barely use them? I have no such delusions! I have a drawer full of the things, and still seem to always be out of whatever kind I most desperately need when I go looking for one. The Energizer Bunny and I are on a first name basis! ...or rather she is.In summary, batteries are the most polluting thing ever invented and should be diverted from autos to batteries. Taxes should be diverted from autos to batteries, apart from those powering medical devices.
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The things that power all your mobile devices and remeber all your data when the mains go down, the most polluting thing ever invented, not only enviromentaly but soccialably, they intrude into ones every move, taxes should be diverted from autos to batteries, apart from those powering medical devices.

Physics news on Phys.org
wolram said:
The things that power all your mobile devices and remeber all your data when the mains go down, the most polluting thing ever invented, not only enviromentaly but soccialably, they intrude into ones every move, taxes should be diverted from autos to batteries, apart from those powering medical devices.
I take it that you just had a battery go dead?

Evo said:
I take it that you just had a battery go dead?

Nay lass, i have one in my car and one in my cell phone, i do not even use my cell phone, i have candles in case of a power cut, oh how i wish for a total power cut, maybe then people could actually talk to one another.

wolram said:
Nay lass, i have one in my car and one in my cell phone, i do not even use my cell phone, i have candles in case of a power cut, oh how i wish for a total power cut, maybe then people could actually talk to one another.
Well, without at least a battery backup, we couldn't talk. :wink:

I just went out and bought one so Evo and I could talk. :devil: :smile:

Mk said:
I just went out and bought one so Evo and I could talk. :devil: :smile:
heheh I can talk your ear off.

Evo said:
heheh I can talk your ear off.
But would you talk so face to face? i find that people are inept at withdrawing the telling bone from the ear hole and using natural vocal
comunication.

wolram said:
But would you talk so face to face? i find that people are inept at withdrawing the telling bone from the ear hole and using natural vocal
comunication.
Unless something has upset me, I'm very talkative. If I'm quiet, you know that something is wrong.

Evo said:
Unless something has upset me, I'm very talkative. If I'm quiet, you know that something is wrong.
Oh how i know this to the nth degree, the situation should not arise if two are attuned.

wolram said:
But would you talk so face to face? i find that people are inept at withdrawing the telling bone from the ear hole and using natural vocal comunication.
Cell phones are bad, bad things, but I talk to people face to face a lot everyday and it can be pretty bad. Last night I had to escape from a guy who wanted to tell me all about the wonderful reptiles and tarantulas he kept as pets.

Speaking of batteries...

Yesterday I tossed a battery onto my desk and then a few seconds later I look at it and it's smoking :eek:

Turns out I tossed it onto a quarter, which just barely connected the two terminals... My room smelled bad for a few minutes... Yay for shorting a battery?

moose said:
Speaking of batteries...

Yesterday I tossed a battery onto my desk and then a few seconds later I look at it and it's smoking :eek:

Turns out I tossed it onto a quarter, which just barely connected the two terminals... My room smelled bad for a few minutes... Yay for shorting a battery?

There you go, batteries are a product of the devil and they are every where,
Just waiting to getcha.

I read in the candle light, so much nicer and relaxing. Have some Mozart, Vivaldi, Dvorak... in the background. That's my reading environment.

I only use two batteries. The one in my car and in my scooter. I get you can say I also use the ones in my Pocket PC and iPod, but that's it. Oh, and in the remote control... WOW... I use it more than I thought.

JasonRox said:
I only use two batteries. The one in my car and in my scooter. I get you can say I also use the ones in my Pocket PC and iPod, but that's it. Oh, and in the remote control... WOW... I use it more than I thought.
Wear a watch? Have a cordless phone/cell-phone? Got a smoke detector? Own a calculator?

Gokul43201 said:
Wear a watch? Have a cordless phone/cell-phone? Got a smoke detector? Own a calculator?

Exactly!

You think you barely used them, but they're everywhere.

You read by candle light?...do you want to wear glasses?

JasonRox said:
Exactly!

You think you barely used them, but they're everywhere.
Barely use them? I have no such delusions! I have a drawer full of the things, and still seem to always be out of whatever kind I most desperately need when I go looking for one. The Energizer Bunny and I are on a first name basis! :rofl:

Moonbear said:
Barely use them? I have no such delusions! I have a drawer full of the things, and still seem to always be out of whatever kind I most desperately need when I go looking for one. The Energizer Bunny and I are on a first name basis! :rofl:

I only use AA, AAA and the occasional 9 volt battery.

cyrusabdollahi said:
You read by candle light?...do you want to wear glasses?

Um... I doubt that would ever happen.

I read in a very dim environment. My eyes work just fine. Heck, I can read out of someone else's book 2 seats away!

I also walk around in the dark. I never bother to turn on the lights at night. My girlfriend doesn't like that though.

JasonRox said:
I only use AA, AAA and the occasional 9 volt battery.
I have an assortment of things with different watch-type batteries...at least now electronic do-dads are starting to get a bit more consistent about using those size 357 ones (or is it 358? I know 'em when I see 'em). Still have flashlights that take C and D batteries, I've lost count of all the AA and AAA batteries. I used to have those more organized...some stuff will only run well with nearly new batteries, but the batteries are still fine for something like a TV remote, so I had two categories of new and used but still good for something batteries. Then there's all the rechargeable batteries in things...camera, iPod, cell phone, cordless phones (don't ask why I have cordless phones and then have one in every room that has a jack :rolleyes:), laptop (2 batteries for that so I always have a backup), cordless drill, :uhh: I think I'll just quit while I'm ahead here. :redface:

http://www.fxaeromodels.com/images/TP8000-4s4pL.jpg [Broken]​
[/URL]

8000 mAh, 18.5V (charge as 5 cells), 13G wire,6-pin balancer connector
Rating: 10 -12C continuous, 18C(144A) burst
Dimension: 68mm x 255mm x25mm

Weight: 782gm, for ION heli $399.95.

[/drool]

Last edited by a moderator:
cyrusabdollahi said:
What does that mean? :confused:

JasonRox said:
Um... I doubt that would ever happen.

I read in a very dim environment. My eyes work just fine. Heck, I can read out of someone else's book 2 seats away!
Yes, you're still immortal and invulnerable aren't you? Under 25?

Gokul43201 said:
What does that mean? :confused:

1C is one times the battery capacity. So 12C continuous, is 8000mAH * 12 = 8.0A *12 = 96A under normal conditions.

RC has a funny nomenclature. I know, ...made me say WTF at first too.

The burst is for under 60 seconds, at 144 Amps!

Can we say, Fire hazard

Heh! Just came across this in Cyrus' linked site - the Official Batteries of GD:

http://www.fxaeromodels.com/images/FP37006s1p.jpg[/URL]

Gokul43201 said:
Heh! Just came across this in Cyrus' linked site - the Official Batteries of GD:

http://www.fxaeromodels.com/images/FP37006s1p.jpg[/URL]
Popular name. The cat food I buy is also called Evo. :rofl:

My favorite battery is the Li-Ion battery in my Light & Motion Arc HID bike headlight.

Normal bike headlight:

http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lightshootout/beam_patterns/medium/802C5503.jpg [Broken]

My bike headlight:

http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lightshootout/images/lmiarcbeam.jpg [Broken]

The entire system (battery + light head) weighs 820 grams, and is significantly brighter than most individual car headlights. It gets boatloads of respects from moron drivers.

- Warren

cyrusabdollahi said:
http://www.fxaeromodels.com/images/TP8000-4s4pL.jpg [Broken]​
[/URL]

Dimension: 68mm x 255mm x25mm

Weight: 782gm, for ION heli $399.95.

[/drool]

That is not a battery it is bomb, Oh, i lied i have a battery in my smoke detector, that infernal thing the goes off every time i do some cooking.

The internet is built with these babies, for disaster recovery, and to protect equipment from surges and spikes, I have installed loads of them in my time:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

So indirectly just by using this www site you are contributing to growth of battery use :wink:

By using computers which use inernet which use websites which use hosting servers. Which all just happen to use batteries.

cyrusabdollahi said:
1C is one times the battery capacity. So 12C continuous, is 8000mAH * 12 = 8.0A *12 = 96A under normal conditions.

RC has a funny nomenclature. I know, ...made me say WTF at first too.
That is just the wackoest system I've come across.

The burst is for under 60 seconds, at 144 Amps!
Yikes, 13 gauge wire isn't rated to carry more than 30A! Even at 96A, you'd most likely melt off the insulation. At 144A, that's almost certainly a fire starter.