One more Vector problem and we are good to go

• Thread starter junior_J
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Vector
In summary, the problem involved finding the change in velocity of a yacht as it moved from 5ms^-1 due north to 3ms^-1 due west. The solution resulted in a resultant velocity of 5.8 ms^-1 and a direction of 31 degrees west of north. However, the book's answer stated a direction of 31 degrees west of south, which can be understood by drawing the vectors and realizing that the change in velocity is pointing south-west.
junior_J
One more Vector problem and we are good to go!

The Problem:
Find the change in velocity of a yacht if it changes its velocity from
5ms^-1 due north to 3ms^-1 due west and also state its direction.

The solution :
(resultant vel.)^2 = 5^2 + 3^2 = 5.8 ms^-1
direction = tan-1(3/5) = 31 degrees west of north

However , the books answer is 5.8 ms^-1 in a direction 31 degrees west of south . what am i doing wrong here ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw down the vectors and it should become clear why the direction is 31 degrees west of south. Btw, the change equals [tex]\vec{v}_{2}-\vec{v}_{1}[/tex].

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5b/Vector_subtraction.png/217px-Vector_subtraction.png"

Last edited by a moderator:
I did draw it but unless south means up and norths means down on paper I don't know what ur getting at lolz I want to tear my book apart !

err ... got it ! I am so embarrased !

thank you ! :)

junior_J said:
I did draw it but unless south means up and norths means down on paper I don't know what ur getting at lolz I want to tear my book apart !

[tex]\vec{v}_{1}[/tex] is pointing north (up). [tex]\vec{v}_{2}[/tex] is pointing west (left). [tex]\vec{v}_{2}-\vec{v}_{1}[/tex] is then pointing south-west.

1. What is a vector problem?

A vector problem is a mathematical problem that involves the use of vectors, which are quantities that have both magnitude and direction. These problems often require the use of vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication by a scalar.

2. How do you solve a vector problem?

To solve a vector problem, you will need to follow a few steps. Firstly, identify the given vectors and their magnitudes and directions. Then, use vector operations to manipulate the vectors according to the problem's requirements. Finally, check your solution for accuracy.

3. What are some common applications of vector problems?

Vector problems have many real-world applications, such as calculating the displacement and velocity of objects in physics, determining the resultant force in engineering, and finding the direction and speed of an aircraft in navigation.

4. Why are vector problems important?

Vector problems are important because they help us understand and solve real-world problems that involve quantities with both magnitude and direction. They also provide a fundamental understanding of vector operations, which are essential in many fields, including physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

5. What are some tips for solving vector problems?

Some tips for solving vector problems include drawing diagrams to visualize the given vectors, using trigonometric functions to find the components of a vector, and breaking down complex vector problems into smaller, more manageable parts. It is also helpful to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with common vector formulas and identities.