Scalar field pressure and energy density

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the energy density and pressure of a scalar field using the stress-energy tensor. The speaker is new to tensors and is struggling to understand the notation. They are looking for a step-by-step explanation or resource to help them understand how to get these values. The summary provides a brief explanation of the process and equations used to calculate the energy density and pressure.
S.P.P
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out as I'm really stuck.

With reference to the top of page 7 at http://faculty.washington.edu/mrdepies/Survey_of_Dark_Energy2.pdf

I'd like to know how to get the quoted energy density and pressure of phi from the stress-energy tensor. I am very new to tensors and the notation involved. There are times I think I understand what is going on, but then I find I can't do simple problems, like get the pressure from the stress energy tensor.

The way I'd get the energy density is by setting all indices in the stress-energy tensor to 0, but I'm not sure if that's correct?

What would help me out massivly is a step by step way to get these answers (or point me to a site that explains how to get them, I've yet to find one). Once I understand this, I suspect a lot of other stuff I've been reading about will fall into place.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help :smile:

Space news on Phys.org
In the lecture notes it is applied the usual procedure to calculate the energy-momentum tensor: start with the Lagrangian of the scalar field and apply Noether's theorem to get its energy-momentum tensor.

Having the expression for [itex]T_{\mu \nu}[/tex] (second formula in page 7) you will get the density as [itex]\rho = T_{00}[/itex] and the pressure as [itex]p = T_{11} = T_{22} = T_{33}[/itex]. You can assume that it is a perfect fluid, homogeneous and isotropic, and therefore [itex]\partial_1\phi = \partial_2\phi = \partial_3\phi = 0[/itex].

Last edited:
I see,

say i want to work out the pressure. On that second formula on page 7, do all the indices run from 0 to 3, or from 1 to 3. Or do alpha and beta run over a different number of indices from mu and nu?

(edit) actually looking over it, I feel I'm missing something fundamental from this. If the metric is g = diag(-1, 1, 1, 1) I get: P = T(11) = T(22) = T(33) = -0.5*(d phi/dt)^2 - V

Last edited:
I think you just have to apply with care the second formula in page 7. Note that [itex]\alpha[/itex] and [itex]\beta[/itex] are the indices of the energy-momentum tensor and [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\nu[/itex] are dummy indices that are summed over. Remember the condition of homogeneity and isotropy and also note that [itex]g^{\mu \nu} = g_{\mu \nu}[/itex] for g the Minkowski metric.

[tex]T_{\alpha \beta} = \partial_{\alpha} \phi \partial_{\beta} \phi - g_{\alpha \beta} \left(\frac{1}{2} g^{\mu \nu} \partial_{\mu} \phi \partial_{\nu} \phi + V \right)[/tex]

Start with the 00 term:

[tex]T_{00} = \partial_{0} \phi \partial_{0} \phi - g_{00} \left(\frac{1}{2} g^{\mu \nu} \partial_{\mu} \phi \partial_{\nu} \phi + V \right)[/tex]

In the sum over [itex]\mu[/itex] and [itex]\nu[/itex], only the 00 term is different from zero:

[tex]T_{00} = (\partial_{0} \phi)^2 + \left(- \frac{1}{2} (\partial_{0} \phi)^2 + V \right)[/tex]
[tex]T_{00} = \frac{1}{2}(\partial_{0} \phi)^2 + V[/tex]
[tex]\rho = \frac{1}{2}(\partial_{0} \phi)^2 + V[/tex]

The 11, 22 and 33 terms in the same way:

[tex]T_{11} = \partial_{1} \phi \partial_{1} \phi - g_{11} \left(\frac{1}{2} g^{\mu \nu} \partial_{\mu} \phi \partial_{\nu} \phi + V \right)[/tex]
[tex]T_{11} = - \left(- \frac{1}{2} (\partial_{0} \phi)^2 + V \right)[/tex]
[tex]p = \frac{1}{2} (\partial_{0} \phi)^2 - V \right)[/tex]

Last edited:
ahhhh, I get it now. Thank you so much!

1. What is a scalar field pressure and energy density?

A scalar field pressure and energy density is a concept in physics that describes the distribution of pressure and energy within a given space. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction.

2. How is scalar field pressure and energy density measured?

Scalar field pressure and energy density can be measured using various instruments such as pressure gauges and energy density detectors. These instruments measure the amount of pressure and energy present in a particular area or volume.

3. What factors affect scalar field pressure and energy density?

Scalar field pressure and energy density can be affected by various factors such as temperature, density, and the presence of other fields or particles. These factors can alter the distribution and magnitude of pressure and energy within a given space.

4. What are the real-life applications of scalar field pressure and energy density?

Scalar field pressure and energy density have many practical applications in fields such as engineering, meteorology, and geology. They are used to understand and predict the behavior of fluids, gases, and other materials in various systems and environments.

5. How does scalar field pressure and energy density relate to other physical concepts?

Scalar field pressure and energy density are closely related to other physical concepts such as force, work, and energy. They are also connected to other fields in physics, such as electromagnetic fields, which can interact with and affect scalar field pressure and energy density.