Ack The Mormons found me

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the Mormons found Ivan and want him back. He doesn't know about that. The FBI might want him, too. Might also depend on whether the sign also says, "Dead or Alive" on it.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Ack! The Mormons found me!

I could hardly believe it. I haven't stepped foot in an LDS church in twenty-five years, and today I got a letter asking if I'm still a member! :rofl: I have no idea how they even found me. Surely there are plenty of Ivan Seekings in the country. I know for a fact that there was no forwarding information available from that time.

Physics news on Phys.org
They're probably who the student loan companies hire to track down people delinquent on repaying the loans! :rofl:

Ivan Seeking said:
I could hardly believe it. I haven't stepped foot in an LDS church in twenty-five years, and today I got a letter asking if I'm still a member! :rofl: I have no idea how they even found me. Surely there are plenty of Ivan Seekings in the country. I know for a fact that there was no forwarding information available from that time.
They want you back. Isn't it nice to be wanted? :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
I don't know about that. The FBI might want him, too.

Astronuc said:

turbo-1 said:
I don't know about that. The FBI might want him, too.

Might also depend on whether the sign also says, "Dead or Alive" on it. :uhh:

Astronuc said:
They want you back.

They wouldn't if they read my posts in S&D! :biggrin:

...of course, now that I think about it, they do believe in ETs.

Moonbear said:
Might also depend on whether the sign also says, "Dead or Alive" on it. :uhh:
The Mormons will claim you dead or alive - even if you're Jewish.

hahaha :biggrin:, they must have put some effort into finding you or else they have the wrong guy. Is it the same LDS church that you went to 25 years ago?

No, this was from the main office in Utah, but they definitely got the right guy. But I have to wonder how many Ivan Seekings got my letter.

Mormons *shivers*

Ivan Seeking said:
No, this was from the main office in Utah, but they definitely got the right guy. But I have to wonder how many Ivan Seekings got my letter.

Seek ye, Seek ye & ye shall find... Ivan... :eek: :tongue2:

I think the Mormons are one of the largest collectors of personal information in the world.
Its to do with having to know how many souls there have been and being able to pay to convert your dead ancestors.
Perhaps they've just bought a new electronic list from someone else or maybe new software that allows them to cross-reference other lists.
Either way a swift name change is in order.

Mormons...ugh. I live about a mile away from the largest mormon temple in the world http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_D.C._Temple" . It's actually a very pretty building.

They know not to knock on my door anymore.:devil:

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that's a cool looking building.

You know, in a weird Wizard-of-Oz way.

Mk said:
Wow that's a cool looking building.

You know, in a weird Wizard-of-Oz way.

funny stuff from the Wiki link:
The famous graffiti in the D.C. metropolitan area first appeared on the outer loop of the I-495, the Capital Beltway, on a railroad bridge near the Washington D.C. Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, in Kensington, Maryland, beginning in late 1973. The sections of the bridge match exactly the number of letters in the graffiti message, "Surrender Dorothy". It was graffitied by an anonymous artist and was removed by the Maryland State Police after pressure from the Church; however, it has been periodically replaced in various forms by similarly anonymous persons since then.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
They likely used a seer stone. :tongue2:

Math Is Hard said:
funny stuff from the Wiki link:
...surrender Dorothy...
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I lived in northern Virginia through the 70's and 80's, and although I've seen the "Surrender Dorothy" on that bridge several times, I never got the joke unitl now!

Heh heh.

kyleb said:
They likely used a seer stone. :tongue2:

:rofl: Don't you mean a urim and thummim?

1. Who are the Mormons?

The Mormons, also known as the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, are a religious group that was founded in the 19th century by Joseph Smith. They believe in the teachings of the Book of Mormon and follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.

2. What does it mean to be "found" by the Mormons?

To be "found" by the Mormons means that members of the Mormon community have reached out to non-Mormons in an attempt to share their beliefs and potentially convert them to the Mormon faith.

3. How do the Mormons typically approach someone they have "found"?

The approach may vary, but typically, Mormons will introduce themselves and ask if the person is interested in learning more about their beliefs. They may also offer to share a copy of the Book of Mormon or invite the person to attend a church service or event.

4. What is the purpose of the Mormons "finding" people?

The purpose of the Mormons "finding" people is to share their beliefs and potentially convert others to their faith. Mormons believe that their religion brings happiness and fulfillment and want to share it with others.

5. How can I politely decline if I am not interested in learning about the Mormon faith?

If you are not interested in learning about the Mormon faith, you can politely decline by thanking the person for their offer and letting them know that you are not interested at this time. It is important to respect their beliefs and politely decline without being rude or dismissive.