Antarctic Ice Marathon: Run in the Foothills of the Ellsworth Mountains

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, the second Antarctic Ice Marathon, which will take place on December 12, 2006, is a 26.2-mile foot race in the interior of the Antarctic. It is the southernmost foot race in the world, taking place in the foothills of the Ellsworth Mountains. The price to participate is US$15,000 and one of the PF runners is expected to join. The person expressing interest also mentions being able to print their own PF gear and the conversation ends with the race taking place the next day.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
On December 12, 2006, the second Antarctic Ice Marathon will take place at 80 Degrees South in the interior of the Antarctic. Run in the foothills of the scenic Ellsworth Mountains, this is the southernmost 26.2-mile foot race in the world. [continued]
http://www.icemarathon.com/

I fully expect that one of our PF runners will step up to the cube.

Physics news on Phys.org
The price is US$15,000

...Greg can 'easily' spare that from subscription fees, in that case I don't mind volunteering. I can even print my own PF shirt or whatever gear it takes.

Looks cold...

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

I am so there!

When is it...?

Tomorrow!

Gotta go

1. What is the Antarctic Ice Marathon?

The Antarctic Ice Marathon is a marathon race that takes place in the foothills of the Ellsworth Mountains in Antarctica. It is considered one of the toughest and most extreme marathons in the world.

2. When does the Antarctic Ice Marathon take place?

The Antarctic Ice Marathon typically takes place in late November or early December each year. This is during the Antarctic summer, when temperatures are slightly warmer and the ice is more stable.

3. How long is the Antarctic Ice Marathon?

The Antarctic Ice Marathon is a full marathon, measuring 26.2 miles (42.2 kilometers) in distance. The course is set on the Union Glacier, and runners must complete multiple laps to cover the full distance.

4. What are the weather conditions like during the Antarctic Ice Marathon?

The weather conditions during the Antarctic Ice Marathon can be extremely harsh and unpredictable. Temperatures can drop below -20 degrees Celsius, and wind speeds can reach up to 50 mph. Runners must be prepared for extreme cold, wind, and potential snow storms.

5. How can I participate in the Antarctic Ice Marathon?

In order to participate in the Antarctic Ice Marathon, you must first apply and be accepted by the race organizers. You must also be physically and mentally fit, as well as have the necessary equipment and training to endure the extreme conditions. The race is limited to a small number of participants each year, and spots fill up quickly.