Exercise In Visual Description

In summary, Gokul describes an abstract painting that features a Phoenix dying in flames. He says it resembles Persia and is reborn into new colors. He also says the painting has a lot of symbolism, and that the yellow banana is significant.
zoobyshoe
The task here is to verbally describe an abstract work of art. This is quite difficult and I've always been impressed by the powers of description of art reviewers I encounter here and there in art magazines who seem to be able to verbally characterize a given abstract work.

In my thread a week or so back asking people to describe a painting to fit a title, Gokul, (and maybe some others) felt the title suggested an abstract work, but describing an abstract work struck him as too difficult and he resorted to illustration. I'm hoping he tackles this one to explore how it can be done, and that other pitch into raise the bar on him.

"The Firey Demise Of The Phoenix"

TheFireyDemiseOfThePhoenixSans.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps this should rather be called "the fiery demise of the peacock"...

verty said:
Perhaps this should rather be called "the fiery demise of the peacock"...
Perhaps it should rather be called "Verty Veers Off Topic".

That's beautiful! (I mean the picture :smile:)

zoobyshoe said:
The task here is to verbally describe an abstract work of art.

"The Firey Demise Of The Phoenix"
It is a picture of a Phoenix, dying in flames and sowing the seeds of its own rebirth. One presumes this is in protest against the strategy du jour in the war in Iraq.

It resembles Persia, in turquoises and desert sands. Ancient myths, from ancient lands, reborn into new generations of fiery purples and greens.

It's pretty! Looks like a peacock though. The peacock is on the left, and there is a mallard duck on the right. They have spotted each other, there is an initial attraction, unfortunately, their parents will never approve of a mixed marriage. There is pain and yearning...:frown:

jimmysnyder said:
It is a picture of a Phoenix, dying in flames and sowing the seeds of its own rebirth. One presumes this is in protest against the strategy du jour in the war in Iraq.
You are completely evading the challenge of describing what you see. No soup for you.
hypatia said:
It resembles Persia, in turquoises and desert sands. Ancient myths, from ancient lands, reborn into new generations of fiery purples and greens.
You are the closest so far to actually describing it, simply because you've noted actual colors that are in it.
Evo said:
It's pretty! Looks like a peacock though. The peacock is on the left, and there is a mallard duck on the right. They have spotted each other, there is an initial attraction, unfortunately, their parents will never approve of a mixed marriage. There is pain and yearning...:frown:
You have treated it like a rohrschach test and in interpreting this bizarre scenario out of it, revealed dark psychological secrets about yourself that I may or may not decide to share with the others.

The point is to describe what you physically see in front of you, not to present an interpretation. You need to muster your vocabularies for form, color, lines, textures, etc.

I see a colourful feathered creature that appears to be melting and its feathers becoming flames which create a vague depiction of another colourful bird with its wings spread. Forgive my lack of descriptive talent I'm not into art as much as yourself zoob.

zoobyshoe said:
You have treated it like a rohrschach test and in interpreting this bizarre scenario out of it, revealed dark psychological secrets about yourself that I may or may not decide to share with the others.
Upon closer look, the mallard is attempting to bite the peacock's plummage with an altogether too happy look on it's face. :bugeye:

Oh wait, the peacock is breathing flames out of it's mouth.

You could sell prints of your work zooby, they're that good.

Evo said:
Upon closer look, the mallard is attempting to bite the peacock's plummage with an altogether too happy look on it's face. :bugeye:

Oh wait, the peacock is breathing flames out of it's mouth.
What's the signifigance of the yellow banana? Don't tell me you didn't see the yellow banana.

You could sell prints of your work zooby, they're that good.
Actually, we could do this now. There is an online service where any artist can upload any image and people can order prints of any image that is on display there. They cost about 25 dollars. The artists get about $4.00 per print sold.

zoobyshoe said:
What's the signifigance of the yellow banana? Don't tell me you didn't see the yellow banana.
You mean the summer squash next to the japanese aubergine? I thought it was part of their picnic lunch.

Actually, we could do this now. There is an online service where any artist can upload any image and people can order prints of any image that is on display there. They cost about 25 dollars. The artists get about $4.00 per print sold.
I guess that's fair, depending on the paper and printing quality offered, I haven't looked into it.

It seems to me that the artist has created the vision of the post-apocalyptic halo surrounding the subject. While there is a nervous, sinister facade to the work, a more concentrated study leads to the viewer to empathise with the artist's portrayal of an eternal hope, held within the expressions surrounding the bird.

Evo said:
You mean the summer squash next to the japanese aubergine? I thought it was part of their picnic lunch.
I...I...I guess I can't fool you.

I guess that's fair, depending on the paper and printing quality offered, I haven't looked into it.[/QUOTE]
http://printpop.com/index.php?gallery=lobby

brewnog said:
It seems to me that the artist has created the vision of the post-apocalyptic halo surrounding the subject. While there is a nervous, sinister facade to the work, a more concentrated study leads to the viewer to empathise with the artist's portrayal of an eternal hope, held within the expressions surrounding the bird.
The nervous/sinister facade is due to the fact I used a soon-to-be Christmas turkey as the model for the Phoenix. He was nervous because he found me sinister. He would not stand still. I could only capture various parts of him before he moved. The original title was: "Grab Bag Of Turkey Parts". The eternal hope you see is simply a collateral projection on the part of the artist, who is hoping for a blonde dressed in a fur trimmed bikini and Santa cap for Christmas. This is clearly alluded to in the red and green shapes visible in the upper left corner. Those are Christmas colors. She tends to the summer squash as we enjoy a nice yule fire in the hearth.

So, yeah, I think I will have to rename it "Verty Veers Off Topic".

Evo said:
I won??

WOOT!

What did I win? o:)
Um...summer squash?

None of those pictures in abstracts come anywhere close to the talent you have.
Thanks, Evo. That's encouraging to hear.

1. What is exercise in visual description?

Exercise in visual description is a technique used to improve one's ability to accurately describe visual details and observations. It involves practicing and refining the use of language to describe visual elements such as color, shape, size, and texture.

2. Why is exercise in visual description important?

Exercise in visual description is important because it helps individuals become better communicators and observers. It can also improve critical thinking skills and attention to detail, which are useful in many fields such as art, science, and literature.

3. How can exercise in visual description be practiced?

Exercise in visual description can be practiced by actively observing and describing visual elements in everyday life, such as objects, nature, or people. It can also involve specific exercises, such as describing an image or object in writing or verbally to another person.

4. Can exercise in visual description be beneficial for non-artistic fields?

Yes, exercise in visual description can be beneficial for non-artistic fields. The ability to accurately describe visual details is important in many professions, such as journalism, marketing, and science. It can also be helpful in everyday situations, such as giving directions or describing a product.

5. Are there any tips for improving visual description skills?

Some tips for improving visual description skills include using specific and descriptive language, using all the senses, and practicing regularly. It can also be helpful to get feedback from others and to read descriptions written by skilled writers or scientists.