Help with linear homogeneous recurrence relations

In summary, the order of the linear homogeneous recurrence relation with constant coefficients for An = 2An-1 is 1. This means that each term in the sequence depends on the value of one previous term. The attempt at a solution provided is unclear as it does not specify what the equation is supposed to equal and does not align with the given problem.
Bucs44

Homework Statement

Here's my problem - Give the order of linear homogeneous recurrence relations with constant coefficients for: An = 2na(n-1)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea on how to start this problem - Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I think you mean An= 2An-1. Be careful to distinguish between "A" and "a"!

Notice that this problem does not (yet) ask you to solve the equation! It just asks that you state its order. Do you know the definition of "order" of a recurrence relation? I suspect the way to "start this problem" is to look up "order"!

=2(2An-1 + 1) + 1
=2^2An-1 + 2 + 1

Is this right?

The order is just the number of "previous" terms, in which case the order is 2

No, in the recursion An= 2An-1, An depends on the value of A one place before it. The order is 1.

As for
=2(2An-1 + 1) + 1
=2^2An-1 + 2 + 1

I can't tell whether it is correct or not because you haven't told me what it is supposed to equal!

Once again, is this intended to be An= 2Sn-1? If so, I cannot see where you are getting the "+1" terms from.

Suppose A0= 1. What is A1? A2?

What is a linear homogeneous recurrence relation?

A linear homogeneous recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a sequence of numbers, where each term is a constant multiple of the previous term. It can be represented in the form of a recurrence relation, where each term is expressed in terms of the previous term(s).

How can I solve a linear homogeneous recurrence relation?

There are several methods for solving a linear homogeneous recurrence relation, including the characteristic equation method, the substitution method, and the generating function method. The method you use will depend on the specific form of the recurrence relation and your own personal preference.

What is the characteristic equation method?

The characteristic equation method is a technique for solving linear homogeneous recurrence relations. It involves finding the roots of the characteristic equation, which is derived from the recurrence relation. The solutions to the characteristic equation are then used to find the general solution to the recurrence relation.

What is the substitution method?

The substitution method is a technique for solving linear homogeneous recurrence relations. It involves substituting a proposed solution into the recurrence relation and solving for the unknown coefficients. This method is useful when the recurrence relation is in a specific form, such as a Fibonacci sequence.

What is the generating function method?

The generating function method is a technique for solving linear homogeneous recurrence relations. It involves representing the sequence of numbers as a power series, and then manipulating the series to find a closed form formula for the terms. This method is useful for solving more complex recurrence relations.