Calculating Time of Contact for Hammer and Nail

In summary, the hammer rebounds at 60% of its initial speed, and is in contact with the head of the nail for a total time of 0.00336 seconds.
Cole07

Homework Statement

A 1.2- kg hammer hits a nail at a speed of 15 m/s and rebounds at 60 percent of that speed. The resisting force of the nail is 9000 N. Approximately how long is the hammer in contact with the head of the nail?

Homework Equations

P=mv
Pf-Pi=Ft

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what is was told to do:
Find P of hammer before, then find v after by mult.
by the % (60%= .60). Use that to find P after. add them,
then divide by the force to find time. deltaP=N*t

before: 1.2*15=18
18*.6=10.8
10.8*1.2=12.24
12.24+18=30.24
30.24/9000
answer=0.00336s
i don't understand why this answer is wrong
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Recheck for an error in line 2. It is always best to go step by step, write the equations, do the maths, avoid shortcuts.

the 80% is an example from how i was told to do it my percent is 60% i forgot to fix that is that the problem with line two you are talking about?
i'll edit it right now.

is that the error in line 2?

Cole07 said:
is that the error in line 2?
No, The final speed is 60% of what value?

do you mean 15m/s

ok i see so instead of what i did first it would be:
1.2*15=18
15*.6=9
9*1.2=10.8
10.8+18=28.8
28.8/9000=
0.0032s

Cole07 said:
ok i see so instead of what i did first it would be:
1.2*15=18
15*.6=9
9*1.2=10.8
10.8+18=28.8
28.8/9000=
0.0032s
Yes, but you may have got the answer inadvertently, since you did not proceed systematically. Forgeting the units at first, the initial momentum P_i is 18 down, the final momentum P_f is 10.8 up. Using down as the positive direction, the change in momentum is P_f - P_i = -10.8 - (18) =
- 28.8 Kg.m/s (that is up). So the force on the hammer acts up? Did you understand this when you added the 2 momenta??

i did realize it but i just didn't pay any attention to it on this problem thank you for pointing that out.

okay so you guys figured out the speed which is exellent how much force in pounds on average does it take to extract a nail from wood ? !
i can't figure it out what so ever ? !

1. How do you calculate the time of contact for a hammer and nail?

In order to calculate the time of contact for a hammer and nail, you will need to know the speed of the hammer and the distance it travels before making contact with the nail. This can be determined by measuring the length of the hammer and the distance it is swung before hitting the nail.

2. What is the formula for calculating time of contact?

The formula for calculating time of contact is: time = distance/speed. This means that the time of contact is equal to the distance the hammer travels divided by the speed at which it is swung.

3. How does the force of the hammer affect the time of contact?

The force of the hammer does not directly affect the time of contact. However, a greater force may result in a shorter time of contact as the hammer will be able to drive the nail into the surface faster.

4. Can the time of contact be affected by the type of nail or surface?

Yes, the time of contact can be affected by the type of nail and surface. Different types of nails may require different amounts of force and have varying levels of resistance, which can affect the time of contact. Additionally, the hardness or softness of the surface can also impact the time of contact.

5. How can calculating the time of contact for a hammer and nail be useful?

Calculating the time of contact for a hammer and nail can be useful for understanding the physics behind the action of driving a nail into a surface. It can also be helpful in determining the most efficient and effective way to use a hammer for a given task. Additionally, it can be useful for predicting the amount of force and time needed for future tasks involving a hammer and nail.