Flatness Problem: Deriving Relation from Friedmann Eqns.

• Thread starter Magister
  • Start date
In summary, the relation \frac{1-\Omega(t)}{\Omega(t)}=\frac{1-\Omega_0}{\Omega_0} \frac{1}{1+z} is derived from the first Friedmann equation in the standard cosmological model, assuming \Lambda=0 and a matter-dominated universe. The flatness problem arises from the fact that any deviations in the initial value of \Omega (the ratio of energy density to critical density) would lead to a significantly different curvature in the early universe, making it difficult to explain the nearly flat universe observed today. This can be solved either by assuming that the initial conditions were extremely close to \Omega=1 or by invoking a mechanism such as inflation that can drive
Magister
Reading about the flatness problem in the standard cosmological model I have came to this relation

[tex]
\frac{1-\Omega(t)}{\Omega(t)}=\frac{1-\Omega_0}{\Omega_0} \frac{1}{1+z}
[/tex]

where

[tex]
\Omega = \frac{\rho}{\rho_c}
[/tex]

and [itex]z[/itex] is the redshift.

I would like to know where this relation cames from. I supose it cames from the Friedmann equations but I am not getting there...

Space news on Phys.org
Start with the first Friedmann equation. Set [itex]\Lambda = 0[/itex], multiply both sides by [itex]3/8 \pi G \rhp[/itex] and rearrange terms to get:

[tex]\left( \frac{1 - \Omega}{\Omega} \right) \rho a^2 = constant[/tex]

Evaluate this equation for today with [itex]\Omega_0[/itex], [itex]\rho_0[/itex] and [itex]a = 1[/tex], and for another cosmological epoch with [itex]\Omega[/itex], [itex]\rho[/itex] and [itex]a[/tex].

Then, consider that the energy density is matter-dominated and you will get the result.

Ok. I get it! Thanks.
But this leads me to another question.
I supposed that the flatness problem was that if [itex]\Omega_0[/itex] was a little different from 1, then the universe at an early stage would have had a very different [itex]\Omega[/itex] and so the curvature would have been very different from what it is today. By other words, flat at the beginning flat for ever.
But I can see from your reply that the curvature is suppose to be constant (no matter if [itex]\Omega[/itex] changes or not) in time and so it seems that I didnt understand the flatness problem at all...
So my next question is - what is the flatness problem? I would be pleased if someone could give me a explanation or a good reference where I could learn more about it.

Last edited:
The universe must have always been very close, if not exactly 'flat', for the reasons you have already noted. Any deviations pile up exponentially when you run the clock forward [or backwards] from t=0 to the present epoch.

Magister said:
But I can see from your reply that the curvature is suppose to be constant (no matter if [itex]\Omega[/itex] changes or not) in time and so it seems that I didnt understand the flatness problem at all...
In a matter or radiation dominated universe the curvature is only constant if it is exactly zero. Otherwise, as Chronos points out, you can see in your formula that curvature strongly deviates from flatness in a matter (or radiation) dominated universe and that [itex]\Omega[/itex] must be extremely close to one at [itex]z \rightarrow \infty[/itex] for [itex]\Omega_0[/itex] to be of order unity today.

You could try solve this problem in two ways. Either assume that the initial conditions were such that [itex]\Omega[/itex] was (extremely close to) one, or assume that a mechanism exists that leads the curvature to zero regardless of the initial conditions. The first option is actually no solution to the problem because it merely shifts it. The second option is inflation.

Last edited:
But in the derivation of that relation I got
[tex]
\left( \frac{\Omega - 1}{\Omega} \right) \rho a^2 = \frac{3k}{8 \pi}
[/tex]

then you say that in every other epoch the [itex]3k/8 \pi[/itex] has the same value so that the left side of the relation can be evaluated in any instant [itex]t[/itex] . But that seems to go against the Flatness problem because [itex]k[/itex] changes with [itex]\Omega[/itex] and hence it should change with time. What am I missing?

Note that [itex]k[/itex] is an integer with three possible values: -1, 0 or 1, and it cannot change from one value to another. The value [itex]3k/8 \pi[/itex] is therefore constant in time.

Ok. Now I understand. I got confuse with the fact that the universe is almost flat but not flat and because of this I forgot that k was an integer.
Thanks

1. What is the Flatness Problem in cosmology?

The Flatness Problem is a conundrum in cosmology that arises from the observation that our universe appears to be extremely flat on a large scale. This means that the curvature of space-time is very close to zero, which is unexpected given the predictions of the Friedmann equations.

2. What are the Friedmann equations?

The Friedmann equations are a set of equations in cosmology that describe the evolution of the universe. They take into account the expansion of the universe, the matter and energy content, and the curvature of space-time.

3. How is the Flatness Problem related to the Friedmann equations?

The Flatness Problem arises because the observed flatness of the universe is not predicted by the Friedmann equations. In fact, the equations suggest that the universe should either be highly curved or very close to a singularity at the beginning of time.

4. What is the proposed solution to the Flatness Problem?

The solution to the Flatness Problem is known as inflation. This theory proposes that the early universe underwent a period of rapid expansion, causing any curvature to be smoothed out and resulting in the observed flatness of the universe on a large scale.

5. Is the Flatness Problem still considered a mystery in cosmology?

No, the Flatness Problem is no longer considered a mystery in cosmology. The theory of inflation has been supported by various observations, such as the cosmic microwave background radiation, and is now widely accepted as the solution to the Flatness Problem.