Differentiation [ (7x^3+4)^(1/x) ] / Integration [ x^x(1+ln(x)) ]

In summary, for the differentiation problem, we need to use the logarithmic differentiation method to find the derivative of the expression (7x^3+4)^1/x. And for the integration problem, we can use the substitution method with u= x^x to simplify the integral of x^x(1+ln(x)).
unique_pavadrin

Homework Statement

Differentiate the following expression leaving in the simplest form:
[tex]\left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)^{\frac{1}{x}} [/tex]

Integrate the following leaving in the simplest form:
[tex]x^x \left( {1 + \ln x} \right)[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
Here is my worked solution for the differentiation problem:

[tex]\[
\begin{array}{l}
\frac{d}{{dx}}\left[ {\left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)^{\frac{1}{x}} } \right] \\
y = \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)^{\frac{1}{x}} \\
\ln y = \left( {\frac{1}{x}} \right)\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right) \\
= \frac{{\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)}}{x} \\
\frac{d}{{dx}}\left[ {\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)} \right] = \frac{1}{{7x^3 + 4}}.\frac{d}{{dx}}\left[ {7x^3 + 4} \right] \\
= \frac{{21x^2 }}{{7x^3 + 4}} \\
\frac{d}{{dx}}\left[ {\frac{{\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)}}{x}} \right] = \frac{{x\left( {\frac{{21x^2 }}{{7x^3 + 4}}} \right) + 1\left( {\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)} \right)}}{{x^2 }} \\
= \frac{{21x^3 + \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)}}{{x^2 }} \\
\\
\frac{1}{y} = \\
y' = y.\frac{{21x^3 + \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)}}{{x^2 \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)}} \\
= \frac{{\left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)^{\frac{1}{x}} \left( {21x^3 + \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)} \right)}}{{x^2 \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)}} \\
= \frac{{\left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)^{\frac{1}{x} - 1} \left( {21x^3 + \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)\ln \left( {7x^3 + 4} \right)} \right)}}{{x^2 }} \\
\end{array}
\]
[/tex]

For the integration problem I am not quite certain on how to integrate the expression given. I know from previous experience that the expression x^x when differentiated will give x^x(1+ln(x)).

many thanks for all suggestions and help
unique_pavadrin

Physics news on Phys.org
For the integration, my first thought was to make a substitution like u= xx. Of course, to do that I would need a derivative for xx. Find the derivative of xx and think you will realize that the integral is surprizingly easy.

I got this result, with a small difference:

(4 + 7*x^3)**(-1 + 1/x)*(21*x^3 - (4+7*x^3)*Log(4 + 7*x^3)))/x^2

The mistake appeared probably in the 7th line of your calculation.
You probably forgot the minus sign from the rule:

(a/b)' = (a'b-ab')/b²

Last edited:
Since from previous experience you know the integral is x^x, and x^x happens to appear in that integrand, the easiest way out will always be the substitution which gives the whole integrand! Same goes for any integral like that.

thank you for the reply and thank you lalbatros for point out my stupid mistake

What is differentiation and integration?

Differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to its input variable. Integration, on the other hand, is the reverse process of differentiation and is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval.

What is the general formula for differentiation and integration?

The general formula for differentiation is d/dx (f(x)) = lim(h->0) [f(x+h) - f(x)] / h. The general formula for integration is ∫f(x)dx = F(x) + C, where F(x) is the antiderivative of f(x) and C is the constant of integration.

How do you differentiate and integrate a composite function?

To differentiate a composite function, we use the chain rule, which states that d/dx (f(g(x))) = f'(g(x)) * g'(x). To integrate a composite function, we use the substitution method, where we substitute u = g(x) and du = g'(x)dx.

What is the product rule and quotient rule for differentiation?

The product rule states that d/dx (f(x)g(x)) = f'(x)g(x) + f(x)g'(x), and the quotient rule states that d/dx (f(x)/g(x)) = [f'(x)g(x) - f(x)g'(x)] / (g(x))^2. These rules are used to differentiate functions that are products or quotients of other functions.

How do you differentiate and integrate exponential and logarithmic functions?

To differentiate an exponential function, we use the rule d/dx (a^x) = ln(a) * a^x, where a is a constant. To integrate an exponential function, we use the rule ∫a^x dx = (a^x) / ln(a) + C. To differentiate a logarithmic function, we use the rule d/dx (ln(x)) = 1/x. To integrate a logarithmic function, we use the rule ∫ln(x) dx = xln(x) - x + C.