What is the meaning of a line integral and how is it calculated?

In summary, the line integral in its mathematical sense represents the "length" of the line between the points of integration.
theperthvan
What does line integral really mean, what is it doing?

Say you have a function f(x,y,z) and you integrate it w.r.t. arc length along some curve C.
Is this like finding the area under C over f? Like if you are walking along C, and the vertical area covered below you is the integral?

It's hard to say what I mean, but is this correct?

Cheers,

Physics news on Phys.org
theperthvan said:
What does line integral really mean, what is it doing?

Say you have a function f(x,y,z) and you integrate it w.r.t. arc length along some curve C.
Is this like finding the area under C over f? Like if you are walking along C, and the vertical area covered below you is the integral?

It's hard to say what I mean, but is this correct?

Cheers,

Here is an application. Let [tex]f(x,y,z)[/tex] represent the mass at every given point. Then [tex]\int_C f(x,y,z) ds[/tex] along a rectifiable curve [tex]C[/tex] is the total mass of the string/wire (which is represented by the curve).

Say you have z = f(x,y). Then [tex]\int_C f(x,y) ds[/tex] represents the area of the sheet that is traces out. That is, the line represented by C in the xy plane, connect it to the surface f(x,y), and the line integral represents the area of this sheet

oh right. that makes more sense. cheers,

If you are familiar with basic physics, then

[tex]\int_C{\vec{F}\cdot\ d\vec{r}[/tex]

This line integral represents the work done by the force F along the path C.

[tex]\int_a^b{\vec{E}\cdot\ d\vec{r}[/tex]

This line integral represents the potential difference (voltage) between points b and a, where E is the electric field.

I thought the line integral in its mathematical sense represented the "length" of the line between the points of integration.

jbowers9 said:
I thought the line integral in its mathematical sense represented the "length" of the line between the points of integration.

Nope you are thinking of arclength. The arclength of an integrable function f(x) over [a,b] is given by [tex]\int^b_a \sqrt{ 1+ (f'(x))^2} dx[/tex]

OK, thank you.

jbowers9 said:

It can represent arc length. If [tex]\bold{R} = x(t)\bold{i}+y(t)\bold{j}[/tex] (for smooth functions) then [tex]\int_C 1 \ ds = \int_a^b \sqrt{[x'(t)]^2+[y'(t)]^2} dt [/tex] where [tex]C[/tex] is the path obtained from [tex]\bold{R}[/tex].

What is a line integral?

A line integral is a type of mathematical operation that involves integrating a function along a specific curve or line. It is used to calculate various physical quantities such as work, mass, and fluid flow.

How is a line integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral involves finding the area under a curve, while a line integral involves finding the sum of a function along a specific path or curve. In other words, a line integral takes into account the direction and length of the curve, while a regular integral does not.

What are some real-world applications of line integrals?

Line integrals are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to calculate the work done by a force along a particular path, the total mass of a fluid flowing through a pipe, and the total cost of a production process.

What is the difference between a closed and open line integral?

A closed line integral is one where the curve or path is a closed loop, meaning it starts and ends at the same point. An open line integral is one where the curve or path does not form a closed loop. Closed line integrals are often easier to calculate, as they do not require an arbitrary starting point.

How do I calculate a line integral?

To calculate a line integral, you will need to first define the curve or path along which the function will be integrated. Then, you will need to determine the limits of integration and the function to be integrated. Finally, you can use various mathematical methods, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus or Green's theorem, to evaluate the integral.