Experimental calculation of Birefriengence

In summary, you can calculate the birefringence of a crystal by measuring the difference in output polarizations. You can also measure the refraction angle of two polarizations, but the crystal has to be cut the right way. Alternatively, you can phase match a 2nd order nonlinear process.
MartingeWomble
I was wondering if any of you guys could help me.

Is there any simple way to set up an experiment to calculate the birefringence of a birefringent crystal? I've trudged through papers and the most helpful one was "Measuring birefringence properties using a wave plate and an analyzer" by Stewart R. M. Robertson.

unfortunately, I don't immediately see how to get a value for birefringence from his calculations.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Send a beam polarised at 45 degrees to the crystal axis through a crystal of known thickness and measuring the output polarisation. From the measurement of the output polarisation you can calculate the difference in path lengths of each the ordinary and extraordinary polarisations.

Alternatively you can send a beam through and see the difference in refraction angle of two polarisations, but the crystal has to be cut the right way to do this.

Failing both of these, you can try to phase match a 2nd order nonlinear process if you have a suitable laser at hand. You could work out the birefringence by measuring the optimal alignment angle wrt the crystal axis.

Claude.

Hello Claude, and thank you for responding to my question!

Claude Bile said:
Send a beam polarised at 45 degrees to the crystal axis through a crystal of known thickness and measuring the output polarisation. From the measurement of the output polarisation you can calculate the difference in path lengths of each the ordinary and extraordinary polarisations.

would you have to measure output polarizations for separate beams (one for ordinary, another for extraordinary)? What if the deflection angle is very small? I'm not sure I understand how to calculate path lengths from polarization data.

Alternatively you can send a beam through and see the difference in refraction angle of two polarisations, but the crystal has to be cut the right way to do this.

Failing both of these, you can try to phase match a 2nd order nonlinear process if you have a suitable laser at hand. You could work out the birefringence by measuring the optimal alignment angle wrt the crystal axis.

All three of these seem like viable solutions, but I am unsure how to implement them. Are there readily available sources you could point me towards which explain this in greater detail? I appreciate your help and would like to learn more so I can ask more poignant questions!

MartingeWomble said:
would you have to measure output polarizations for separate beams (one for ordinary, another for extraordinary)? What if the deflection angle is very small? I'm not sure I understand how to calculate path lengths from polarization data.
No, I would keep everything colinear. The idea here is to measure the phase difference between the two orthogonal polarisations. This will determine whether you measure linearly, circularly or elliptically polarised light. The induced phase difference between each component will be a direct result of the difference in refractive index the two polarisations "see".
Claude Bile said:
The simplest way I have seen this done is simply placing the crystal on an overhead projector and observing the "double-vision".
Claude Bile said:
This process should be covered in most textbooks on optics, and certainly any on nonlinear optics. I can give a brief run-down as to how this works though.

I beam of sufficient energy at frequency f will generate a frequency at 2f in media with a crystalline structure of appropriate symmetry. For efficient conversion from f to 2f, the f beam and 2f beam need to be kept in phase. Since the natural material dispersion of a medium generally results in n(f) =/= n(2f), one must go to some lengths to ensure that the f and 2f beams are kept in phase. In a birefringent crystal, this can be done by sending the f beam at an angle to the crystal axis such that the ordinary refractive index at frequency f equals the extraordinary refractive index at 2f. The actual angle depends on the ordinary and extraordinary refractive indices, so if you know one you can work out the other.

Claude.

1. What is birefringence and why is it important in experimental calculations?

Birefringence is the property of a material to split a single beam of light into two beams with different refractive indices. It is important in experimental calculations because it allows for the measurement of the anisotropic properties of a material, such as its crystal structure and orientation.

2. How is birefringence measured in experiments?

Birefringence is typically measured using a polarimeter, which consists of a polarized light source and a detector. The sample is placed between the light source and the detector, and the intensity of the transmitted light is measured at different angles. This allows for the calculation of the birefringence of the sample.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of experimental birefringence calculations?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of experimental birefringence calculations include the quality of the sample, the alignment of the polarimeter, and the wavelength of the light source. Imperfections in the sample or misalignment of the polarimeter can lead to errors in the measurement.

4. How does temperature affect birefringence in materials?

In most materials, birefringence decreases as temperature increases. This is due to the thermal expansion of the material, which can cause changes in the crystal structure and orientation, leading to a decrease in birefringence. However, there are some exceptions to this trend, such as in certain liquid crystals.

5. Can birefringence be calculated theoretically?

Yes, birefringence can be calculated theoretically using mathematical models and equations. These calculations take into account the physical properties of the material, such as its refractive indices, crystal structure, and orientation. However, experimental measurements are still necessary to confirm the accuracy of these theoretical calculations.