Car rolling down a hill. How high will it go up another incline?

In summary, the problem involves a car moving at a certain velocity and height, running out of gas and coasting down a hill, then up the other side until it comes to rest. The task is to find the highest point the car reaches above the bottom of the hill, using the conservation of mechanical energy principle. Through a few calculations, the final answer is determined to be 13.98 meters.
Bob Loblaw

Homework Statement

A 684 kg automobile is moving at 13.2 m/s at a height of 5.0 m above the bottom of a hill when it runs out of gasoline. The car coasts down the hill and then continues coasting up the other side until it comes to rest. Ignoring frictional forces and air resistance, what is the value of h, the highest position the car reaches above the bottom of the hill?

http://www.webassign.net/grr/p6-31alt.gif

Homework Equations

Mechanical energy is conserved so Einitial=Efinal. Uinitial+Kinitial=Ufinal+Kfinal.
mgyinitial+1/2mvinitial^2=mgyfinal+1/2mvfinal^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that the highest point will be reached when vfinal is equal to zero. However - I am having great difficulty manipulating the equations to allow for this equation. Any help or guidance will be appreciated!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Another way to approach this problem is to remember that the total energy (KE + PE) is constant when there are no friction/etc losses... What is the total energy of the car initially? What will the KE be when it comes to rest at the top of the arc on the opposite side?

So examining the problem your way I have:

KE=1/2(684kg)(13.2m/s)^2 = 59590.08J

PE=(684kg)(9.8m/s^2)(5m) = 33516J

Total Energy= KE+PE = 93106.08

So. . .

Since we know that the velocity will be equal to zero when the car rolls to the highest point:

KE=0

PE=(684kg)(9.8m/s^2)(?m)

KE+PE=(684kg)(9.8m/s^2)(?m)+0= 93106.08 = 13.98 meters

My goodness that worked! Thanks for helping me in just right way!

Glad to help. BTW, I like the way that you carry your units along in the calculations -- that is an important trick in calculations, and it will serve you well as you continue to learn more and more complex subjects. Good work.

EDIT -- I just noticed that there's a typo at the end of your calc -- you have 93106.08 = 13.98 meters, but you meant to show:

KE + PE = PE = 93106.08J --> H = 13.98 meters

Last edited:

1. How does the height of the incline affect the distance the car will travel?

The height of the incline will affect the distance the car will travel due to the force of gravity. The higher the incline, the greater the potential energy of the car, which will result in it traveling a greater distance up the next incline.

2. Will the weight of the car impact how high it can go up the incline?

Yes, the weight of the car will impact how high it can go up the incline. A heavier car will have more potential energy and will travel a greater distance up the incline compared to a lighter car.

3. How does the speed of the car affect its ability to go up the incline?

The speed of the car will affect its ability to go up the incline due to the conservation of energy. The faster the car is moving, the more kinetic energy it has, which will translate into a higher potential energy as it goes up the incline.

4. Can the angle of the incline affect the height the car will reach?

Yes, the angle of the incline can affect the height the car will reach. A steeper incline will result in a greater potential energy for the car, allowing it to travel a greater distance up the incline.

5. Is there a limit to how high the car can go up an incline?

Yes, there is a limit to how high the car can go up an incline. This is because as the car travels up the incline, it will lose some of its potential energy due to friction and air resistance. Eventually, the car will reach a point where it will not have enough energy to continue going up the incline.