Making a piecewise defined function differentiable

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the values of a and b in terms of c to make a function differentiable. The person seeking advice made an algebraic mistake in their attempt and was advised to consider two cases when dealing with absolute values. The conversation also mentions the importance of the value and derivative of 1/|x| at certain points.
brh2113
I have to find the values of a and b in terms of c so that this function is differentiable. Attached is the problem and my work, but I think that there's an error somewhere in my attempt. Any advice?

Attachments

• Differentiating.jpg
    Differentiating.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 518
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, check your derivative of 1/|x| at x=c. It's not zero. You made an algebraic mistake.

I see I forgot to distribute a negative sign on the left side's derivative, but that's trivial, because as h-->0, (-h) and (h) both approach 0.

Is there something else I'm missing? I've re-done the rest of the algebra, and I'm still getting 0.

EDIT: I see what went wrong. I moved the h up to the top of the fraction, instead of keeping it on the bottom.

Last edited:
I think I've solved it (see attached). My only concern is that I've ignored the absolute value signs. Is this a problem? Or should I go back and work it through with two cases, one when X>0 or equal to 0 and one when X<0?

That seems to me the better way, but I'm wondering if it's necessary?

Attachments

• Derivative Solved.jpg
    Derivative Solved.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 487
You posted an attachment, so I can't see it yet, but yes, you should probably do two cases. That's kind of what absolute values are all about.

Since f(x)= 1/|x| only for |x|> C for some positive number C, the derivative of 1/|x| at x=0 doesn't matter (fortunately)! What is crucial is the value and derivative of 1/|x| at x= C and x= -C.

What is a piecewise defined function?

A piecewise defined function is a mathematical function that is defined by different equations on different intervals of its domain. This means that the function may have different rules or equations for different parts of its domain.

Why is it important to make a piecewise defined function differentiable?

Differentiability is a property of functions that allows us to find the instantaneous rate of change at any point on the function. This is important because it helps us understand the behavior of the function and its relationship to other functions.

What are the steps for making a piecewise defined function differentiable?

The first step is to determine the intervals where the function is not differentiable. Then, we need to find the equations for the function on each of those intervals. Next, we can use the limit definition of the derivative to find the derivative of each equation. Finally, we can combine these derivatives to create a single piecewise defined function that is differentiable.

What are some real-life applications of piecewise defined functions?

Piecewise defined functions are commonly used in economics and finance to model different scenarios and make predictions. They can also be used in engineering to describe systems with changing parameters or in computer graphics to create smooth curves and surfaces.

Are there any limitations to making a piecewise defined function differentiable?

Yes, there are some limitations. In some cases, it may not be possible to make a piecewise defined function differentiable without changing the original function. Additionally, the process of finding the derivative of a piecewise defined function can be complex and time-consuming, especially for functions with many intervals or complex equations.