Problem of overlapping circles

In summary, the question is how big should r be, so that the area of overlap between two circles with radii R and r is exactly half the area of the larger circle. Two possible approaches, through integration or geometry, both result in equations with trigonometric terms that are difficult to solve. It is uncertain if there exists a simple analytic solution for the relation between r and R.
standardflop
A friend asked me the following question: Two circles with radii [itex]R[/itex] and [itex]r[/itex] are placed so that the one with radius [itex]r[/itex] has its center on the circumference of the circle with radius [itex]R[/itex]. How big should [itex]r[/itex] be, so that the area of the overlap is exactly [itex]\pi R^2/2[/itex].

The simple solution would be to insert a coordinate system and integrate over each of the circle equations (the intersection begin [itex]r_0[/itex]). But the resulting equation of the form

[tex] \frac{\pi R^2}{2}=\int_0^{r_0}circle2+\int_{r_0}^r circle1[/tex]
turns out to be quite difficult to solve for [itex]r[/itex] (due to trignometric terms).

Another approach would be the geometrical, and one would find a general result similar to equation (14) of http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Circle-CircleIntersection.html . My problem is just that this also gives an equation (again with trigonometric terms) which is hard to solve.

Does anyone have an idea which could give an analytic result (or, is it even possible)?

All the best.
-stdflp.

Physics news on Phys.org
How close does the A(R',r') formula get you to the analytic solution you need? What additional steps do you need to go through?

The A-formula gives me an equation containing [itex]cos^{-1}[/itex] terms, which neither me or maple can solve. The integral-method is likewise not solveable for me.

A friend of mine told me that the problem has no simple analytic solution (squre root, fraction, etc.) to describe the relation of [itex]r[/itex] and [itex]R[/itex]. But i am not sure of this.

1. What is the "Problem of overlapping circles"?

The "Problem of overlapping circles" is a mathematical concept that deals with finding the area of a region where multiple circles overlap. This problem is often used to demonstrate the principles of geometric and algebraic reasoning.

2. What are the applications of the "Problem of overlapping circles"?

The "Problem of overlapping circles" has several real-world applications, such as in surveying, engineering, and computer graphics. It is also used in the design of Venn diagrams and in calculating the probability of events.

3. How is the solution to the "Problem of overlapping circles" calculated?

The solution to the "Problem of overlapping circles" involves using the principles of geometry and algebra to find the overlapping area. This typically involves finding the intersection points of the circles and using them to create equations that can be solved to find the area.

4. Can the "Problem of overlapping circles" be solved for more than two circles?

Yes, the "Problem of overlapping circles" can be solved for any number of circles. The process is essentially the same as for two circles, but it becomes more complex as the number of circles increases.

5. What are some common strategies for solving the "Problem of overlapping circles"?

Some common strategies for solving the "Problem of overlapping circles" include using the Pythagorean theorem, setting up and solving systems of equations, and using the properties of circles (e.g. radius, diameter) to find the overlapping area. Visual aids, such as diagrams or graphing software, can also be helpful in solving the problem.