Can I Use Coefficients to Find the Normal Vector of a Plane?

In summary, the normal vectors of the planes x+y+z=1 and x-2y+3z=1 are <1,1,1> and <1,-2,3>. It is possible to pull the coefficients of x, y, and z to form a normal vector when the equation of the plane has a term after the = sign. However, when finding the parametric and symmetric equations of the line of intersection of two planes, it is more efficient to solve the equations for two variables in terms of the third. In this case, x=t, y=0, and z=-t. The only symmetric equations possible for this problem are z=-x and y=1.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
From the book's example, the normal vectors of the planes x+y+z=1 and x-2y+3z=1 are <1,1,1> and <1, -2, 3>.

Although the book doesn't mention how it got those normal vectors from the equations, it's rather obvious. But the first homework problem has the plane equation = 0 instead of equal 1. Can I still just pull the coefficients of x, y, z and form a normal vector? i.e. If the equation of the plane is x+z=0, then is the normal vector <1,0,1>?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yup, you can always pull the coefficients off for the normal because that term after the = sign doesn't change the slopes of the plane -- it will just determine intercepts and points through which the plane passes

thanks! The book failed to explain that.

I better post the full problem because I'm stuck again.

Find the parametric and symmetric equations of the line of intersection of the planes x+y+z=1 and x+z=0.

I got the normal vectors, <1,1,1> and <1,0,1> and their cross product <1,0,-1> or i-k.

I set z to 0 and got x=0, y=1, z=0.

How do I form parametric equation out of this?? I know it's x=t, y=1, z=-t because this problem is nearly identical to one from lecture. But how did he do that step?

This would make the symmetric equations x/1=y-1/0=z/-1. But I can't divide by 0, can I?

tony873004 said:
I better post the full problem because I'm stuck again.

Find the parametric and symmetric equations of the line of intersection of the planes x+y+z=1 and x+z=0.

I got the normal vectors, <1,1,1> and <1,0,1> and their cross product <1,0,-1> or i-k.

I set z to 0 and got x=0, y=1, z=0.

How do I form parametric equation out of this?? I know it's x=t, y=1, z=-t because this problem is nearly identical to one from lecture. But how did he do that step?

This would make the symmetric equations x/1=y-1/0=z/-1. But I can't divide by 0, can I?

I'm not sure why you are worrying about vectors. I would just solve the two equations for two of the variables in terms of the third. Subtracting the third equation from the first, we get y= 1 From the third equation, z= -x. Taking x itself as parameter, we have x= t, y= 0, z= -t.

As for the "symmetric" equations, yes, the fact that y is constant causes a problem! The only "symmetric" are z= -x, y= 1.

A belated thank you, Halls. I didn't notice your response until now. I guess I stopped monitoring this thread after I turned in the homework. I also got z=-x, y=1. Thanks for confirming that for me.

1. What is a normal vector of a plane?

A normal vector of a plane is a vector that is perpendicular to the plane. It represents the direction that is perpendicular to the surface of the plane.

2. How is the normal vector of a plane calculated?

The normal vector of a plane can be calculated by taking the cross product of two non-parallel vectors that lie in the plane. Another method is to use the coefficients of the plane's equation, where the normal vector is represented by the coefficients of the x, y, and z terms.

3. Why is the normal vector important in geometry and physics?

The normal vector is important in geometry and physics because it helps determine the orientation and direction of a surface. It is also used in various mathematical calculations, such as finding the angle between two planes or finding the shortest distance between a point and a plane.

4. Can a plane have more than one normal vector?

No, a plane can only have one normal vector. This is because the normal vector represents a direction that is perpendicular to the plane, and there can only be one direction that is perpendicular to a given surface.

5. How is the normal vector of a plane used in computer graphics?

In computer graphics, the normal vector of a plane is used to determine how light reflects off of the surface. This helps create a more realistic and visually appealing image by accurately portraying how light interacts with different surfaces.