Integrating Rational Functions with Complex Quadratics and Partial Fractions

In summary: So (v+c)/(v^2+ 3/4)+ c/(v^2+ 3/4) is (1+ c)/(1+ (3/4)). Combine like powers to get v=(1+ c)/(2+ c), or v= (1+ c)/(3+ c). You can now integrate this term with the original term.
Master J
I want to integrate:

1/[(x + 1)*(x^2 + x +1)] dx

Now the quadratic has complex routes, and we have not done any integration with that yet, so I broke it up into its partial fractions.

A/(x +1) + (Bx + C)/(x^2 + x +1)

But I cannot seem to find the numbers A B C. mamybe I am just missing something real obvious?? Any pointers in the right direction? Cheers guys.

PS. Is the proof of the theory that you can break up fractions like that beyond a first year math for science course?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have no idea what a "math for science" course is, but the proof that there exist numbers A, B, C that will work doesn't involve anything more than basic algebra.

Here you want to find A, B, C so that
[tex]\frac{1}{(x+1)(x^2+ x+1)}= \frac{A}{x+1}+ \frac{Bx+ C}{x^2+ x+ 1}[/tex]
Multiply both sides by (x+1)(x2+ x+ 1) to get
[tex]1= A(x^2+ x+ 1)+ (Bx+ C)(x+1)[/tex]
If you let x= -1, that reduces to 1= A.

I expect you had already done that. The problem is that that there is no value of x that makes x2+ x+ 1= 0. You cannot "reduce" the equation that easily but since the equation is true for all x, you can still get two equations for B and C by letting x be any number you want. I would suggest putting x= 0 and x= 1 into the equation.
If x= 0, the equation becomes 1= A+ C and you already know A. If x= 1, the equation becomes 1= 3A+ (B+ C)(2) and you already know A and C.

Another method that always works is to multiply out the right side and combine "like powers"
[tex]1= A(x^2+ x+ 1)+ (Bx+ C)(x+1)[/tex]
[tex]1= Ax^2+ Ax+ A+ Bx^2+ Bx+ Cx+ C[/tex]
[tex]1= (A+ B)x^2+ (A+ B+ C)x+ (A+ C)[/tex]
Since that must be true for all x, corresponding coefficients must be the same: A+ B= 0, A+ B+ C= 0, A+ C= 1.

To integrate the term with x2+ x+ 1 in the denominator, complete the square to get (x+ 1/2)2+ 3/4 and let u= x+ 1/2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you.

I had already got A=1, and C=0. I don't know how I didn't get B. I guess I was a bit tired and lost track :shy:

I was just wondering about the other part. My Mathematics course is part of a science course, so sometimes proofs aren't done, like they would be in a pure math course.

On this question again, how do I integrate the second part if there is also an x in the top?

Master J said:
On this question again, how do I integrate the second part if there is also an x in the top?

As I said before, complete the square in the denominator so it is (x+ 1/2)2+ 3/4, then let u= x+ 1/2. You will have something of the form [itex](u+ c)/(u^2+ 3/4)[/itex]. Separate that as [itex]u/(u^2+ 3/4)+ c/(u^2+ 3/4)[/itex]. The first is easy: let v= u2+ 3/4. For the second remember that the derivative of arctan(x) is 1/(x2+ 1).

1. What is a rational function?

A rational function is a mathematical function that can be expressed as the ratio of two polynomials, where the denominator is not equal to zero. It is often written in the form f(x) = p(x)/q(x), where p(x) and q(x) are polynomials.

2. What is rational function integration?

Rational function integration is the process of finding the antiderivative of a rational function. In other words, it involves finding a function whose derivative is equal to the given rational function.

3. What are the steps for integrating a rational function?

The steps for integrating a rational function are:1. Rewrite the rational function as a sum of partial fractions, if necessary.2. Integrate each term using the power rule or other integration techniques.3. If the integral is improper, use limits to evaluate the integral.4. Simplify the result, if possible.

4. What are some common techniques used for rational function integration?

Some common techniques used for rational function integration include partial fractions, substitution, and trigonometric substitution. In some cases, it may also be helpful to use integration by parts or other integration techniques.

5. How can rational function integration be used in real life?

Rational function integration is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving rates of change, such as velocity and acceleration. It is also used in computing the areas and volumes of irregular shapes. In addition, rational function integration is important for solving differential equations, which have numerous applications in various fields.