Piston volume and pressure problem

In summary: An adiabatic process indicates that the work done is the same regardless of temperature. Therefore, 400 J of work is done in the same amount of time regardless of what the final temperature is.
zzoon
This seems like it should be really basic, so it's annoying me that I can't figure it out.

Homework Statement

One cylinder in the diesel engine of a truck has an initial volume of 600 cm^3. Air is admitted to the cylinder at 30 degrees celsius and a pressure of 1.0 atm. The piston rod then does 400 J of work to rapidly compress the air. What are its final temperature and volume?

The answers are 1100 K and 23.9 cm^3

Homework Equations

In an isobaric process, W = -p delta V
In an isobaric process, V_1 over T_1 = V_2 over T_2

The Attempt at a Solution

W = -p delta V
400 J = - (600 cm^3 - V_final)

?

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you want your answer to come out in SI units (I assume you do, since you are using Joules, an SI unit.) you can't use the pressure in the form of 1.0atm. You have to convert that to Pascals, the SI pressure unit. You will also have to convert the volume measurements to m^3. Your answer will then come out in m^3, which you can convert back to cm^3 if you wish.

You are starting the problem correctly, you just need the right units. Once you get V_f, can you find the final temperature?

Last edited:
Thanks! For some reason I'm still not getting the answer:

400 J = - 101,300 pa (0.0006 m^3 - V_f)
400 = -61 + 101,300V_f
V_f = 0.00455 m^3 = 4550 cm^3

"Once you get V_f, can you find the final temperature?"

Yeah, this part should be easy. V_1 over T_1 = V_2 over T_2

Last edited:
Hi zzoon,

I don't believe this process is isobaric. When the piston compresses the gas, the pressure will rise to very high levels.

The key point here is that it happens rapidly. If this processes happen rapidly enough, we can treat it as adiabatic.

What does an adiabatic process indicate about the work done? What does it equal to? Once you know that that will guide you to the next step.

1. What is the relationship between piston volume and pressure?

The volume of a piston and the pressure exerted on it are inversely proportional. This means that as the volume decreases, the pressure increases and vice versa.

2. How do you calculate piston volume?

The piston volume can be calculated by multiplying the cross-sectional area of the piston by its length.

3. What is the significance of piston volume and pressure in engines?

Piston volume and pressure play a crucial role in the functioning of internal combustion engines. The expansion of gases in the piston chamber due to pressure creates the force that moves the piston and generates power.

4. How does temperature affect piston volume and pressure?

Temperature can affect piston volume and pressure by changing the volume of the gas inside the piston chamber. As temperature increases, the volume of gas also increases, resulting in a decrease in pressure.

5. How can piston volume and pressure be altered?

Piston volume and pressure can be altered by adjusting the position of the piston or by changing the amount of gas or liquid inside the piston chamber. Changes in temperature and external pressure can also affect piston volume and pressure.