Inductance of a loop in a nonuniform magnetic field

In summary: The self-induced emf in any closed loop of current is -L*dI/dT...In this problem, the loop has negligible resistance and a nonuniform magnetic field exists. So, the emf generated by the loop is -delta flux/delta t.
sfdevil

Homework Statement

A square loop made of wire with negligible resistance is placed on a horizontal frictionless table. The mass of the loop is m and the length of each side is b. a nonuniform vertical magnetic field B=B0(1+kx) exists in the region, where B0 and k are constants. The loo is given a quick push with initial velocity v along x-axis. The loop stops after a time interval T. Find the inductance of the loop.

Homework Equations

emf(ind) = -L*dI/dT
U=1/2*L*I^2
emf= -delta flux/delta t

The Attempt at a Solution

well, I am sort of in a loss for this one.
I tried to get the induced emf by finding dflux/dt:

flux
=integral ( B0*(1+kx) * b dX )
= b*B0*(b*2*k*x+b^2*k+2*b)/2

change of flux in regards with time = dphi/dx * dx/dt
= b^2*k*B0*v (because velocity= dx/dt)

so emf is b^2*k*B0

now I am not sure what to do, since the resistance is negligble and i can't find the current from it...

also the whole time interval thing, where does it come into play (kinematics ?)
and should I use conservation of energy here ?
1/2 * m * v^2 = 1/2 * L * I^2 ? for some reason I don't think its the right way

just thoroughly confused with this one. please help !

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone ? any hints/suggestions ?

I don't think you got the right equation for emf, you are trying to use the emf generated by a solenoid.

Also, you don't need to find any current (you can't, since there is no resistance), you only need to find the emf.

Nick89 said:
I don't think you got the right equation for emf, you are trying to use the emf generated by a solenoid.

Also, you don't need to find any current (you can't, since there is no resistance), you only need to find the emf.

can you possibly expand on your answers ?

what do you mean I don't have the right expression for the emf ? and what does a solenoid have to do with this problem ?

the textbook I use states that the self-induced emf in any closed loop of current is -L*dI/dT...

I saw a similar problem done in a portable ta guide the way I described... only there resistance wasnt negligible and the field was Bz=C/x and not B=B0*(1+kx)...

What is inductance?

Inductance is a property of a conductor that describes its ability to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is measured in units of Henry (H) and is denoted by the symbol L.

How is inductance of a loop in a nonuniform magnetic field calculated?

The inductance of a loop in a nonuniform magnetic field can be calculated using the formula L = μ0N²A / ℓ, where μ0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the loop, A is the area of the loop, and ℓ is the length of the loop.

What is a nonuniform magnetic field?

A nonuniform magnetic field is a magnetic field that does not have a constant strength or direction in all regions. This can be caused by the presence of nearby magnetic materials or varying current flow.

How does the inductance of a loop change in a nonuniform magnetic field?

In a nonuniform magnetic field, the inductance of a loop can change depending on the strength and direction of the magnetic field at different points along the loop. This can result in variations in the amount of energy stored in the loop.

What are some real-world applications of understanding the inductance of a loop in a nonuniform magnetic field?

Understanding the inductance of a loop in a nonuniform magnetic field is important in many electrical and electronic devices, such as transformers, motors, and generators. It is also crucial in designing efficient and effective magnetic shielding in sensitive equipment.