Effect of Solvents on UV/V Spectra of Benzophenone

• Thread starter ~christina~
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Solvent
In summary, the conversation discusses the effects of solvents on the spectra of a compound and how they can produce additional peaks, cause shifts, and increase the bandwidth. The use of nonpolar and polar solvents is also mentioned. The participants plan to research the topic further and provide a more detailed answer in the future.
~christina~
Gold Member
Ah this is a question because I'm new to UV/V spec.
What would a solvent do to a spectra of a compound when it is analyzed?

Such as a polar/non nonpolar solvent on benzophenone?

solvents such as:
Nonpolar :Ethanol, Cyclohexane, n-Hexane
Polar: Methylene chloride

I looked online but couldn't find a simple description of things that would occur.

I do think that the solvents could produce additional peaks on the spectra due to it absorbing/reflecting at certain wavelengths but other than that I'm not sure.

Thanks a lot :smile:

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I remember something along the lines of solvent broadening - increasing the bandwidth of the peaks - , along with something with do with shifts , or perhaps reflection ... Instrumental Analysis by Skoog should help , I'm going read upon this topic and answer your question when I have time.

GCT said:
I remember something along the lines of solvent broadening - increasing the bandwidth of the peaks - , along with something with do with shifts , or perhaps reflection ... Instrumental Analysis by Skoog should help , I'm going read upon this topic and answer your question when I have time.

Ah okay then.
Thank you GCT :smile:

Search terms: "Bathochromic Shift" and Hypsochromic Shift"

Thank you both.

1. What is the purpose of studying the effect of solvents on UV/V spectra of benzophenone?

The purpose of this study is to understand how different solvents affect the UV/V spectra of benzophenone, which is a common organic compound used in various industries. This knowledge can help in predicting the behavior of benzophenone in different solvents and can also aid in the development of new, more efficient solvents.

2. How does the choice of solvent affect the UV/V spectra of benzophenone?

The choice of solvent can greatly influence the UV/V spectra of benzophenone. Different solvents have different polarities and can interact with the compound in different ways, leading to variations in the spectra. This can be observed through changes in the peak intensities and positions.

3. What are the common solvents used in studying the UV/V spectra of benzophenone?

Some of the commonly used solvents in this study include water, ethanol, methanol, acetone, and chloroform. These solvents have varying polarities and can give valuable insights into the solvent-solute interactions.

4. How does the UV/V spectra of benzophenone change with the concentration of the solvent?

The UV/V spectra of benzophenone can be affected by the concentration of the solvent. At low concentrations, the solvent molecules may not be able to interact with the compound effectively, resulting in a weak or no spectral response. As the concentration increases, the spectra may become more pronounced due to increased solvent-solute interactions.

5. Can the UV/V spectra of benzophenone in different solvents be used for identification purposes?

Yes, the UV/V spectra of benzophenone in different solvents can be used for identification purposes. Each solvent can produce a unique spectral pattern, and these variations can be used to differentiate between different compounds or to confirm the identity of a compound in a mixture. However, it is important to note that other factors such as concentration and instrument settings should also be considered for accurate identification.