Mass of Star HD 179949: 8.77x10^31 kg

• Thread starter kuahji
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbital
In summary, In 2004, astronomers discovered a large Jupiter-sized planet orbiting very close to the star HD 179949, known as a "hot Jupiter." The planet has an orbit that is just 1/9th the distance of Mercury from our sun and takes only 3.09 days to complete one orbit. To calculate the mass of the star, a formula involving the semi-major axis, gravitational constant, and period of orbit is used. After plugging in the given values, the mass of the star is estimated to be 8.77x10^31kg, with the correct value for the period of orbit being 2.67x10^5 seconds.
kuahji
In 2004 astronomers reported the discovery of a large Jupiter-sized planet orbiting very close to the star HD 179949 (hence the term "hot Jupiter"). The orbit was just {1 \over 9} the distance of Mercury from our sun, and it takes the planet only 3.09 days to make one orbit (assumed to be circular). What is the mass of the star? Express your answer in kilograms.

Ok, so I using a formula found in the book T=2[tex]\pi[/tex]r[tex]^{3/2}[/tex]/[tex]\sqrt{Gm}[/tex]
Where r is the semi-major axis, G the gravitational constant, and m the mass of the star.

Solving for m
m=(2[tex]\pi[/tex]r[tex]^{3/2}[/tex]/T)^2/G

From the initial problem I found T=4.23x10^4 (converting 3.09 days/rev to seconds).

The orbital radius of Mercury in back of the text is 5.79x10^10, dividing that by nine yields 6.43x10^9.

Plugging in all the quantities I get 8.77x10^31kg. However this is not the correct answer. Any ideas where I could be going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I was just using the wrong value for T, I calculated it wrong. It should have been 2.67x10^5 sorry. ^^

It looks like you may have made a mistake in your conversion from days to seconds. 3.09 days should actually be 266976 seconds, not 4.23x10^4 seconds. When I plug in this value for T, I get a mass of 1.86x10^30 kg for the star HD 179949. This is a more reasonable value for the mass of a star, as 8.77x10^31 kg would be much larger than the mass of our own sun. I hope this helps!

1. What is the significance of the mass of star HD 179949 being 8.77x10^31 kg?

The mass of a star is an important factor in determining its characteristics and lifespan. In the case of HD 179949, its mass of 8.77x10^31 kg indicates that it is a large and massive star, likely with a shorter lifespan compared to smaller stars.

2. How is the mass of a star calculated?

The mass of a star is typically calculated by measuring its gravitational pull on surrounding objects, such as planets or other stars. Additionally, the mass can also be estimated by observing the star's brightness and temperature, which can give clues about its size and density.

3. How does the mass of HD 179949 compare to other stars?

HD 179949 is considered to be a relatively massive star, with a mass that is significantly larger than our own sun. However, there are many stars in the universe that have even greater masses, some of which can be hundreds of times larger than HD 179949.

4. Can a star's mass change over time?

Yes, a star's mass can change over time. This can occur through processes such as nuclear fusion, which causes the star to lose mass as it converts lighter elements into heavier ones. Additionally, stars can also gain or lose mass through interactions with other objects, such as through mergers or collisions with other stars.

5. What other information can we learn from the mass of a star?

In addition to providing information about a star's size and potential lifespan, the mass of a star can also give insights into its internal structure, composition, and potential for supporting life. It can also be used in conjunction with other characteristics, such as temperature and brightness, to classify stars into different categories, such as main sequence, red giant, or white dwarf.