What is the acceleration of a toy car rolling down a ramp at a 20 degree angle?

In summary, we have a toy car with a total mass of 50 g rolling on freely spinning wheels, each modeled as a 1 g uniform disk with a radius of 2mm. The question is asking for the acceleration of the car on a ramp tilted at an angle of 20 degrees to the horizontal, and how it compares to the acceleration of a frictionless block with the same total mass. The relevant equations are F=ma and velocity_center of mass=wr (w is angular velocity, r is radius). The solution to this problem can be found by using the equations provided in the IPhO 2002 problem #3, which can be found on the website http://www.jyu.fi/kastdk/oly
fk378

Homework Statement

A toy car has a total mass of 50 g, and rolls on freely spinning wheels, each of which can be modeled as a uniform disk of mass 1 g, and radius 2mm. What is the acceleration, a, of this toy car when it rolls without slipping down a ramp tilted at an angle of 20 degrees to the horizontal? By what factor is the toy car faster or slower than a frictionless block of the same total mass, ie what is a_car/a_frictionless?

Homework Equations

F=ma
velocity_center of mass=wr (w is angular velocity, r is radius)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to start this...how do you find the acceleration?

Physics news on Phys.org
This is like IPhO 2002 problem #3, I don't get it... maybe the solution for it will help?

http://www.jyu.fi/kastdk/olympiads/

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see a link for the solution for that problem on the site you posted...I see the question, though. Can you send me a link to the solution?

hmm there's no link, I got there by going to the homepage then press on IPhO 02 and then the questions on the top with the answers on the bottom

I got to the part with 5 equations and 5 unknows but I haven't solved it yet. it seems like just a bit more complex situtation of your problem.

1. How does the weight of the car affect its speed when rolling down a hill?

The weight of the car does not have a direct effect on its speed when rolling down a hill. The speed is primarily determined by the angle of the hill and the force of gravity.

2. Can a car roll up a hill?

Technically, yes, a car can roll up a hill if it has enough kinetic energy. However, it would be very difficult for a car to roll up a steep hill due to the opposing force of gravity.

3. What factors affect the distance a car can roll down a hill?

The distance a car can roll down a hill is affected by the angle of the hill, the force of gravity, the weight and shape of the car, and the amount of friction between the car and the surface of the hill.

4. How does the shape of the hill impact the speed and distance a car can roll?

The shape of the hill can impact the speed and distance a car can roll by changing the angle and length of the slope. A steeper hill will result in a faster and shorter roll, while a gentler slope will result in a slower and longer roll.

5. Can a car roll down a hill without any external force or gravity?

No, a car cannot roll down a hill without any external force or gravity. The force of gravity is necessary to pull the car down the hill, and without it, the car would remain stationary.