What is the angle of a ramp given a marble's velocity and time of descent?

• Thread starter KDawgAtsu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ramp Theta
In summary, the conversation discusses a lab where a marble rolls down a 2.26m slope in 3.12s and the goal is to find the angle of the slope assuming no friction. The equations used are v=d/t and a=g sin(theta). The calculated angle comes out to be about 3 degrees, which seems unreasonable for the actual slope of 10-20 degrees. It is suggested that the assumption of no friction may introduce some error and that the marble's rolling motion and friction need to be taken into account for a more accurate calculation.
KDawgAtsu

Homework Statement

This was actually a lab for class today. Basically, a marble rolls down a 2.26m slope, in 3.12s. Find the angle of the slope. Assume there is no friction.

Homework Equations

v=d/t
a=v t
a=g sin (theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

v=2.26/3.12 = 0.724m/s
since that is Avg. V, multiply by 2 to get Total V. V=1.45m/s
a=1.45/3.12=0.464m/s2

so with that, i change the equation with the angle to solve for theta, getting
Invsin (a/g) = theta
Invsin (0.464/9.81) = theta
theta = 2.71

This seems good on paper, but in the lab, this is to find the angle of a slope outside. The actual slope is steeper than 3 degrees, it's probably about 10-20 degrees. So is there a problem with my calculations? Or are there sources of error that cause the angle to come out as so small?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, welcome to PF.

(What do you mean by the total velocity?)

Use the equation linking distance with time and acceleration. The initial speed I think you know. Do you know that acceleration of the body along the slope in terms of g and theta? Give it a try.

By total velocity, I mean the final velocity of the marble in both the x and the y when it reaches the bottom of the ramp.

The equation you are referring to would be x=0.5at2, correct?
So 2.26=(0.5)a(3.12)2
2.26=4.87a
a=0.464 m/s2

So I still end up with the same acceleration.
The second equation you are referring to would be a=g sin (theta) correct?
The equation I used, Invsin (a/g) = theta, is just derived from that, so I would end up with the same answer.
But again, I would get about 3 degrees, which seems unreasonable for the angle of the slope in this lab, as it looks at least about 10 degrees. Is there something wrong with my math or are there sources of error?

Based on the numbers you have presented, the calculations are correct. The assumption of no friction introduces some error because it models the marble as sliding down the ramp as opposed to rolling down. However, compensating for that gives a calculated incline of about 4 degrees, not enough.

KDawgAtsu said:
But again, I would get about 3 degrees, which seems unreasonable for the angle of the slope in this lab, as it looks at least about 10 degrees. Is there something wrong with my math or are there sources of error?

We are considering the marble as a point mass sliding down the ramp with no friction, whereas in reality it is a solid sphere with some radius rolling down the ramp with friction. Part of the potential energy of the marble goes into its rotational motion and another part goes toward overcoming that little bit of rolling fiction. This means that under real conditions, a higher theta for the ramp will show less acceleration than the calculation, and vice versa. This is possibly the explanation you are looking for.

I agree with Kuruman. Even modeling as rolling motion of a rigid object the angle is only about 4 degrees. Either friction cannot be neglected or there is some experimental error. Perhaps in measuring the time it takes the object to roll down the ramp.

Thank you all for the help, I think I understand this now.

1. What is the equation for solving for theta of a ramp?

The equation for solving for theta of a ramp is: theta = arctan(height/length), where theta is the angle of the ramp, height is the vertical distance from the ground to the top of the ramp, and length is the horizontal distance from the base of the ramp to the top.

2. Why is it important to know the angle of a ramp?

Knowing the angle of a ramp is important for various reasons. It allows us to calculate the force required to move an object up the ramp, as well as the potential energy and work involved in doing so. It also helps in determining the safety and feasibility of using a ramp for various purposes, such as wheelchair accessibility or vehicle incline for loading and unloading.

3. How can I measure the height and length of a ramp?

The height and length of a ramp can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler. If the ramp is too long or inaccessible, you can use a protractor to measure the angle and use trigonometry to calculate the height and length. Alternatively, you can use a smartphone app that has a built-in level or angle measuring tool.

4. What is the unit of measurement for the angle of a ramp?

The unit of measurement for the angle of a ramp is degrees (°) or radians (rad). Degrees are commonly used in everyday measurements, while radians are more commonly used in mathematical calculations.

5. Can the angle of a ramp be negative?

No, the angle of a ramp cannot be negative. It is always measured as a positive value, ranging from 0° (a flat surface) to 90° (a vertical surface). However, if the ramp is sloping downwards, the angle can be represented as a negative value relative to the horizontal plane.