Convergence of Series: Checking Equality by Changing Limits

• Thread starter bob1182006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation is about a series that the speaker is trying to show is equal to the integral of a function. The speaker shares their solution and calculations, but realizes there was an error in their professor's work. They correct the mistake and conclude that the two series are indeed equal.
bob1182006
Are these two series equal? (Solved)

Not a homework problem but didn't think other forums were a better place to post this.

I'm trying to show:
[tex]\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{x^3}{e^x-1}dx=\frac{\pi^4}{15}[/tex]

After solving the integral, and checking it a few times, I get to this series:

[tex]\sum_{n=-1}^{\infty}\frac{6}{n^4}[/tex]

I don't know if I can just say that:

[tex]\sum_{n=-1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{n^4}=\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k^4}[/tex]

Since the RHS is equal to [itex]\pi^4 / 90[/itex]

If I try to just pull out the first 2 terms on the LHS then I get the sum of 1+1/0, which is bad..

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You definitely can't say those series are equal. There is no mathematically sound way of calculation you could have gotten the LHS standing on its own as part of a solution, since it includes 1/0. There must be an error in your calculations

Wow, thanks, just looked over what my professor did to start me off on this and noticed he made a mistake in a substitution and got n=-1 as the start of the series when it should have been n=1 so the series are equal!

Guess I should always look over everything, not just the part that I solved.

1. How do you determine if two series are equal?

The equality of two series can be determined by comparing their values at each term. If the values are identical for all terms, then the series are considered equal.

2. Can two series with different expressions be considered equal?

Yes, two series can be equal even if they have different expressions. As long as their values at each term are identical, they are considered equal.

3. What is the significance of two series being equal?

The equality of two series can indicate a relationship or pattern between them. It can also help in simplifying or solving mathematical equations involving these series.

4. Can two series with different starting values be considered equal?

No, two series with different starting values cannot be considered equal. The starting values are an important factor in determining the values of the following terms in a series.

5. Is it possible for two series to be equal but not identical?

Yes, it is possible for two series to have different expressions but still be considered equal. This is because the expressions may be different, but the values at each term are identical.