How Could I do This? Motor to open and close doors on a timer?

In summary: You could also go the more elaborate route and get a fan that has a timer built in and use a relay to open the louvers.
atl944
How Could I do This? Motor to open and close doors on a timer??

Hey Guys,

First post here, and I am picking my brain on how I could accomplish this. Here's what I have.
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/2835/doora.jpg

Wow...Sucky computer drawing. That is a 8' x 3' piece of plywood and the small square are little doors that are on a track to slide up. I have a dowel with wire connected to each door that runs the width of the top of the plywood, with some wire wrapped around that. So in essence, when I unwind the wire the doors slide open.

Now, this is for ventilation purposes (there is going to be a fan blowing into the center square) and I am not always home...So I was wondering if there was a way for me to use this with a pulley system or an electric winch type system that would allow me to set a timer of some sort to open the doors at say 10:00 A.M and close them at 10:00 P.M...

Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance.

matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

There must be a hundred ways that are cheap and trivial.
You can get as elaborate as you'd like, too- incorporating temperature or humidity sensing can also be done cheap and dirty.

At the extreme low end: battery powered clock guts which are sold for making clocks, with 2 contacts installed in the plastic face that get wiped by the hour hand can send the signal to switch a motor winding all 5 wires. A flipflop sets direction of the motor and a contact on each end of travel signals to cut power.

You can get various kinds of timers from a home depot made for switching sprinklers or appliances at slightly higher expense and less hacking fun.

There are definitely many ways you could do this. I would first do some looking around to see if you could utilize something like a sprinkler timer and some simple motors to do the job. If not, then you can get more elaborate; it will only be limited by your budget.

Keep in mind there are probably off-the shelf fans that would also fit the bill for you, they run a timers and could just be paired with a set of louvers that open when the fan(s) are on.

1. How does a motor open and close doors on a timer?

The motor is connected to a mechanism that physically moves the door. The timer is set to activate the motor at specific intervals, causing the door to open or close.

2. What type of motor is used for this task?

The type of motor used depends on the size and weight of the door. A small door may only require a small DC motor, while a larger door may need a more powerful AC motor.

3. Can any door be equipped with a motor to open and close on a timer?

In most cases, yes. However, the door needs to have a mechanism in place that the motor can be connected to, such as a pulley system or track.

4. Is it possible to manually open and close the door if the timer is not activated?

Yes, most motorized doors have a manual override option in case of power outages or malfunctions. This allows the door to be opened and closed manually.

5. Are there any safety considerations to keep in mind when using a motor to open and close doors on a timer?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the motor and door mechanism are installed properly to prevent accidents. Additionally, regular maintenance and safety checks should be conducted to ensure the motor and door are functioning correctly.