Why do some metals dissolve in water under a EMF?

In summary, the phenomenon of soluble metals becoming insoluble in water under different electrical potentials, such as platinum dissolving in liquid water under 0.65-1.1V, is due to the oxidation of metal atoms to ions. This process, similar in principle to galvanic corrosion, occurs when the applied potential is high enough to strip electrons from the metal surface, making it easier for the metal atoms to detach as ions. This phenomenon is also explained by oxidation-reduction potentials and half cell potentials. The voltage range at which this occurs is limited because at lower potentials the metal may not oxidize enough, while at higher potentials, an oxide film may form.
Topher925
I'm trying to wrap my mind around the concept of metals dissolving in water under different electrical potentials. For example, platinum is know to dissolve in liquid water when subjected to 0.65-1.1V. Why does this happen? I'm guessing it has something to due with water being so polar but why would a metal not dissolve with no potential but then dissolve when a potential is applied?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Is the process similar in principle to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion" ?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the applied potential is high enough it can strip electrons from the metal oxidizing it. You may think about it this way - high potential means that there is less electrons on the surface, that means metal atoms are easier to be detached as ions.

--

Mech_Engineer said:
Is the process similar in principle to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_corrosion" ?

I don't think so. Corrosion implies an oxidization reaction, the phenomenon I am referring to is insoluble metals becoming soluble via a voltage potential.

If the applied potential is high enough it can strip electrons from the metal oxidizing it. You may think about it this way - high potential means that there is less electrons on the surface, that means metal atoms are easier to be detached as ions.

But when Pt is dissolved in water, there is no OR (not that I know of anyway). I don't really understand how a potential alone could cause electrons to be removed as that would imply current flow, would it not?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure this helps, but the subject you are eluding to is called Oxidation-Reduction potentials, or Redox potentials, etc.

Since the general question about how any metal will desolve ionically in water should answer your question, you might also look at "half cell potentials" to find an answer regarding a mechanism.

"But when Pt is dissolved in water, there is no OR (not that I know of anyway). I don't really understand how a potential alone could cause electrons to be removed as that would imply current flow, would it not?"

It does imply a current flow. "Half cell potentials" help explain, how batteries work--or at least quantify the voltage obtained.

Topher925 said:
I don't think so. Corrosion implies an oxidization reaction, the phenomenon I am referring to is insoluble metals becoming soluble via a voltage potential.

But when Pt is dissolved in water, there is no OR (not that I know of anyway).

To some extent there is no difference between both cases - here and here metal is being oxidized and there exist an associated potential. Just the "source of this potential" is different. Two basic possibilities here - reduction half reaction can be "source of potential" (of O2 or some other oxidizing agent) or applied voltage can be "source of potential" (note: I am using quotes, as this is rather unusual use of terminology).

I don't really understand how a potential alone could cause electrons to be removed as that would imply current flow, would it not?

First of all - there is a current flow. During Pt oxidation electrons are produced:

Pt <-> Pt2+ + 2e-

they have to flow somewhere for the reaction to occur.

Second, think about what happens on the macroscopical level when there is potential applied. Presence of potential difference means presence of electric field. In the electric field charges are shifted. If you put pice of metal in the electric field there will be a little bit less electrons on one end (and here metal is more easily oxidized - ions can be removed) and a little bit more electrons on the other end (and here metal is more easily reduced - any ion coming into contact will take excess electrons from the surface and will stick to it). In both cases there is a current flowing between metal and solution.

This is heaviliy simplified, but I find such pictures quite effective when trying to understand what is going on.

--

Thanks for the replies, I think I'm starting to understand. So a OR actually is occurring as the Pt atoms are losing electrons and becoming ions, due to the EMF. This then allows the Pt2+ to become soluble since it now has a positive charge. The electrons that are removed from the Pt would just flow into the solution (or whatever else is in contact) then, correct?

So why is it that there is only a range of voltage at which this can occur, like in this example 0.65v-1.1v? Is it because at least 0.65v is required to cause the OR of Pt and anything above 1.1v would form an oxide film (like Pt3O4, PtO2)?

Last edited:

1. Why do some metals dissolve in water under an EMF?

Some metals, such as magnesium and zinc, are more reactive than others and can react with water to form metal ions. This reaction is driven by the presence of an electromagnetic force (EMF) which helps to break down the metal into ions, making it easier for it to dissolve in water.

2. What is an electromagnetic force (EMF)?

An electromagnetic force, also known as an electric force, is a fundamental force that is responsible for the interactions between charged particles. In the case of metals dissolving in water, the EMF helps to break down the metal into ions, making it easier for it to dissolve in water.

3. Why are some metals more reactive than others?

The reactivity of a metal depends on its position on the reactivity series. Metals that are higher on the reactivity series, such as magnesium and zinc, are more reactive and can easily form ions when exposed to an EMF. Metals lower on the reactivity series, such as gold and silver, are less reactive and do not easily dissolve in water.

4. Can all metals dissolve in water under an EMF?

No, not all metals can dissolve in water under an EMF. Only metals that are more reactive, such as magnesium, zinc, and aluminum, can easily dissolve in water under an EMF. Metals that are less reactive, such as gold and silver, do not easily dissolve in water.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the dissolution of metals in water?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the dissolution of metals in water, such as the concentration of the metal, the pH of the water, and the presence of other substances. These factors can either promote or inhibit the dissolution of metals in water under an EMF.