Can an Analytic Method Solve for t in the Equation 2e^(t²) + e^t - 3e = 0?

• Thread starter mishcake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impossible
In summary: I stand corrected.In summary, solving the equation 2e^(t²) + e^t - 3e = 0 requires using a graphing calculator or taking the natural logarithm of both sides and using the quadratic equation on the resulting second degree polynomial. However, this method may not work for all cases, such as when the first term is to the power 2t instead of t². Another solution suggested is using the substitution y=e^t.
mishcake
Given that 2e^(t²) + e^t - 3e = 0, solve for t.
I've been racking my brains to figure out a solution to this one. I know that this can easily be solved by using a graphing calculator, but is there an analytic method to deduce the value of t as well? According to my friend, since this is neither a polynomial nor an algebraic expression, an analytic method would be impossible (at least at A levels).

Thanks in advance to all those who help!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Try taking the natural logarithm of both sides then using the quadratic equation on the resulting second degree polynomial

kreil said:
Try taking the natural logarithm of both sides then using the quadratic equation on the resulting second degree polynomial

But that would only work if the first term is to the power 2t instead of t².

Is your equation:
[tex]2(e^t)^2 +e^t - 3e = 0[/tex]
or
[tex]2e^{(t^2)} + e^t -3e = 0[/tex]
? I suspect the former as that's a very common type of problem in elementary algebra and in that case you can indeed get by using the substitution y=e^t.

rasmhop said:
Is your equation:
[tex]2(e^t)^2 +e^t - 3e = 0[/tex]
or
[tex]2e^{(t^2)} + e^t -3e = 0[/tex]
? I suspect the former as that's a very common type of problem in elementary algebra and in that case you can indeed get by using the substitution y=e^t.

The latter. If it were the former I wouldn't even be posting it here :p

obviously, one solution is t = 1.

kreil said:

The natural logarithm is 0 is not defined, and the logarithm of a sum is not the sum of the logarithms, so this does not work at all.

oops

1. What is a "possibly impossible question"?

A "possibly impossible question" refers to a question that may seem impossible to answer, but with further investigation or advancements in technology, it may become possible to answer in the future.

2. How do scientists classify a question as "possibly impossible"?

Scientists classify a question as "possibly impossible" based on the current knowledge and technology available. If there is no known way to answer the question at the present time, but there is a possibility that it could be answered in the future, it is considered a "possibly impossible" question.

3. Can "possibly impossible" questions ever be answered?

Yes, "possibly impossible" questions have the potential to be answered in the future as technology and scientific knowledge advances. Many questions that were once considered impossible to answer have now been answered due to advancements in science.

4. What is the significance of asking "possibly impossible" questions?

Asking "possibly impossible" questions can lead to new discoveries and advancements in science. It challenges scientists to think outside the box and push the boundaries of what is currently known. Even if the question cannot be answered at the present time, it can inspire new ideas and research.

5. How does the concept of "possibly impossible" questions relate to the scientific method?

The concept of "possibly impossible" questions is an important part of the scientific method. It encourages scientists to be open-minded and explore questions that may seem impossible to answer. It also highlights the importance of continuous learning and the potential for new discoveries in the future.