BLDC Motor - Operation with Phase Loss

In summary, it is possible to run a 3 phase motor by only exciting the 2 phases when the 3rd phase has failed.
mramakrishnan
Hi,
I am using a 3 phase BLDC Motor. The scenario is,
"When anyone of the phases to the BLDC motor fails, the hardware will disable the particular phase. My software should stop firing that phase."
Thereby the motor should run with only 2 phases. Is this practically possible to run a 3 phase motor by just exciting the 2 phases of the motor when the 3rd phase has failed.

Engineering news on Phys.org
The most common cause of unbalance for three-phase motors is the loss of phase resulting from an open fuse, connector, or conductor. Unbalances in other connected loads can also affect the motor. A voltage unbalance of 3.5 % can produce a 25 % or greater increase in motor temperature. This results primarily from negative sequence produced by the unbalance. This current produces flux in the motor air gap rotating in the opposite direct ion to the actual motor direction. The relative effect is essentially double-frequency current in the rotor. Skin effect results in higher resistance, negative-sequence impedance remains essentially at locked-rotor value. Thus, high current and high resistance compounds the heating effect.

--------------------------------
Creative thinking is enjoyable, Then think about your surrounding things and other thought products. http://electrical-riddles.com

I agree with you for your statement. What i want to know is that, when one of the phases connected to the motor becomes Open, is it practically possible to run the motor with the other 2 phases alone.

I am having 6Mosfets which is switched ON and OFF to run the fire the 3 phases to the motor. The pattern would be something like this,
3 Mosfets at the top and botton for the 3 phases,

1. ATOP - BBOT
2. ATOP - CBOT
3. BTOP - CBOT
4. BTOP - ABOT
5. CTOP - ABOT
6. CTOP - BBOT, then back to 1.

This is how commutation is performed in the system. Suppose if Phase A is lost, i will stop the commutation pattern involving the phase A. i.e

I will have to commutate only 2 mosfets,

1. BTOP - CBOT
2. CTOP - BBOT.

In this case, whether the motor will run with firing these two phases alone. Reduced performance of the system is acceptable.

Starting of three phase induction motor with two phases from zero speed (stop position) is impossible, because average of electromagnetic starting torque in this case is zero. Of course running continuity of motor after one phase loss is possible for short time.

1. What is a BLDC motor?

A BLDC (Brushless Direct Current) motor is a type of electric motor that uses a permanent magnet rotor and a series of stator windings to create motion. Unlike traditional DC motors, BLDC motors do not use brushes to transfer electrical power to the rotor, making them more reliable and efficient.

2. How does a BLDC motor operate with phase loss?

When a BLDC motor experiences phase loss, one or more of the stator windings are no longer receiving power. This causes the motor to lose torque and can lead to erratic behavior or complete motor failure. The motor controller must detect and correct phase loss to ensure proper operation.

3. What causes phase loss in a BLDC motor?

Phase loss in a BLDC motor can be caused by a variety of factors, including faulty connections, damaged or broken wires, or a malfunctioning motor controller. It can also occur if the motor is overloaded or if there is a problem with the power supply.

4. How can phase loss be detected and corrected in a BLDC motor?

Phase loss can be detected by monitoring the motor's current, voltage, and speed. If a phase loss is detected, the motor controller must switch to a different commutation sequence to continue generating torque. This can be done automatically by the controller or manually by the user.

5. What are the consequences of operating a BLDC motor with phase loss?

If a BLDC motor is operated with phase loss, it can lead to reduced performance, increased wear and tear, and potentially permanent damage to the motor. It can also cause safety hazards, such as overheating or electrical fires. It is important to address phase loss as soon as it is detected to prevent these consequences.