How can I safely use HDD stepper motors for different applications?

In summary: Just so I can get the...um...coordinates right, how do you set the head actuator?It's easy. Just hold the knob and turn it to the desired position.
Lancelot59
I recently pulled apart two old hard drives, and extracted the stepper motors. I already know they would have to be fairly accurate to be used in hard drives.

So here are my questions:

1. These were 7200 RPM hard drives. I'm guessing the motors are probably capable of going much faster than that. How fast can I safely run these motors? I can't find any specs for them.

2. I neglected to measure the voltage the hard drive used to run the motors, and as of yet I haven't found anything. About voltage should be going to the coils?

3. Am I correct in saying that they have three coils because the motors have 4 leads?

4. How much torque can I get from one of these things? Would it be enough to run a small remote vehicle? Or would it be more suited to something like a camera mount?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Lancelot59 said:
I recently pulled apart two old hard drives, and extracted the stepper motors. I already know they would have to be fairly accurate to be used in hard drives.

So here are my questions:

1. These were 7200 RPM hard drives. I'm guessing the motors are probably capable of going much faster than that. How fast can I safely run these motors? I can't find any specs for them.

2. I neglected to measure the voltage the hard drive used to run the motors, and as of yet I haven't found anything. About voltage should be going to the coils?

3. Am I correct in saying that they have three coils because the motors have 4 leads?

4. How much torque can I get from one of these things? Would it be enough to run a small remote vehicle? Or would it be more suited to something like a camera mount?

Hello there,

There are 4 lead wires, so your stepper motor have two coils which is two phase hybrid stepper motor most of the time. The driver's speed correspond to its resolution. Full, half, quarter, tenth, 16th, etc. If you want to run a stepper motor too fast, you will lose torque. I don't exactly know it can run your remote vehicle or not because I don't know your motor's holding torque at all. You can try it out.

UIROBOT

I thought only the head actuator in a disk drive was a stepper, the main spindle drive is just a servo controlled DC motor ?

robotdigg said:
Hello there,

There are 4 lead wires, so your stepper motor have two coils which is two phase hybrid stepper motor most of the time. The driver's speed correspond to its resolution. Full, half, quarter, tenth, 16th, etc. If you want to run a stepper motor too fast, you will lose torque. I don't exactly know it can run your remote vehicle or not because I don't know your motor's holding torque at all. You can try it out.

UIROBOT

Sounds simple enough. It should be a simple matter to code a PIC to run it. I'm curious though, aren't there some motors that have a common ground for all the coils, and then have individual inputs?

It's likely a brushless DC motor. How do the leads ohm out?

There are 4 leads. 1-4 left to right:
Motor 1:
1-2 = 1.8[tex]\Omega[/tex]
1-3 = 1.9[tex]\Omega[/tex]
1-4 = 1.7[tex]\Omega[/tex]

2-3 = 3.6[tex]\Omega[/tex]
2-4 = 2.4[tex]\Omega[/tex]

3-4 = 3.3[tex]\Omega[/tex]
This seems like a bad thing...everything connects to everything else. Motor 2 is the same.

Lancelot59 said:
There are 4 leads. 1-4 left to right:
Motor 1:
1-2 = 1.8[tex]\Omega[/tex]
1-3 = 1.9[tex]\Omega[/tex]
1-4 = 1.7[tex]\Omega[/tex]

2-3 = 3.6[tex]\Omega[/tex]
2-4 = 2.4[tex]\Omega[/tex]

3-4 = 3.3[tex]\Omega[/tex]
This seems like a bad thing...everything connects to everything else. Motor 2 is the same.
That would be a three phase brushless dc motor wound in star with a neutral wire. The simplest way to drive it would be a speed controller for rc planes and cars, you don't need the neutral with these, so just leave it disconnected. Oh BTW, wire 1 would be your neutral.

famousken said:
That would be a three phase brushless dc motor wound in star with a neutral wire. The simplest way to drive it would be a speed controller for rc planes and cars, you don't need the neutral with these, so just leave it disconnected. Oh BTW, wire 1 would be your neutral.

Sounds good. I'm planning to get a PIC and program that to drive it. I'm planning to build an RC vehicle so I might as well start there.

Now, if you could use the head actuator for steering...

I have another motor better suited for that. It's also a stepper, but it was fairly simple to figure out. One common power and 4 grounds for each of the coils. I'm not sure how strong it is because I've never fired it up, but if it can handle the load it should be very accurate. It has detents every degree, and I should be able to make it do half steps.

Just so I can get the basic control interface going, I stripped down a lego truck I had and motorized the steering and drive wheels with some lego motors...nice and simple. It's a pity Lego went away from making that stuff. It was incredibly fun. Anyhow I guess I'll start by making it run, and after I get a reliable stepper controller working it should go.

Somehow I don't think the HDD steppers would be able to move a vehicle, but I'll see once I get a controller going.

Lancelot59 said:
Somehow I don't think the HDD steppers would be able to move a vehicle, but I'll see once I get a controller going.

Think low torque, and include a gear box.

Phrak said:
Think low torque, and include a gear box.

The only gears I have are lego...the parts probably wouldn't hold up too well. I guess I could make some sturdier gears. I wouldn't need a mix of ratios, so that simplifies the design.

famousken: How would one use an RC motor controller to run a BLDC motor? Doesn't this motor need a 3-phase sequenced drive, similar to a stepper minus one phase?

Lancelot59: save yourself some trouble and go directly to a modified hobby-servo (gear) motor. e.g.: the motors used in this: http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Store.jsp with instructions for modification here: http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Manual/kevin/servohack.html and even further mods on my site: http://www.etantdonnes.com/ROBOCAR/encoder/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a HDD stepper motor?

A HDD (Hard Disk Drive) stepper motor is a type of motor used in hard disk drives to control the movement of the read/write head. It uses a series of electromagnets to rotate the motor shaft and position the head over the desired data track on the disk.

2. How does a HDD stepper motor work?

A HDD stepper motor works by using a series of pulses of electricity to energize the electromagnets in a specific sequence. This sequence of energizing and de-energizing the magnets causes the motor shaft to rotate in small increments, allowing for precise movement of the read/write head.

3. What are the advantages of using a HDD stepper motor?

Some advantages of using a HDD stepper motor include its precise movement capabilities, low cost, and low power consumption. It also does not require any additional sensors or feedback mechanisms to determine its position, making it a simpler and more reliable option for controlling the read/write head in a hard disk drive.

4. How do I troubleshoot issues with a HDD stepper motor?

If you are experiencing issues with a HDD stepper motor, some possible troubleshooting steps include checking the connections for any loose or damaged wires, ensuring the motor is receiving enough power, and checking for any debris or obstructions that may be hindering its movement. If these steps do not resolve the issue, the motor may need to be replaced.

5. Can a HDD stepper motor be used for other purposes?

While a HDD stepper motor is specifically designed for use in hard disk drives, it can also be used in other applications that require precise and controlled movement. Some examples include robotics, 3D printers, and CNC machines. However, the motor may need to be modified or used with additional components for these alternative uses.