What is the connection between sequence of sets and sequence of functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the understanding of convergence of sequence of random variables and the connection between sequence of functions and sequence of sets. The main focus is on the definition of sup_{k \geq n} A_{k} := \bigcup^{\infty}_{k=n}A_k and its relation to the limit of a set. The idea is to take the supremum of the sequence for each k \geq n and then try to bring it down to check the limit from above. This concept is analogous to upper and lower integrals in calculus.
cappadonza
Hi
context: i am trying to understand convergence of sequence of random variables.
random variable are just measurable functions but
I still can't get my head around the connection between sequence of functions and sequence of sets. To start suppose [tex]A_n \subset \Omega [/tex] i don't even understand this definition [tex] sup_{k \geq n} A_{k} := \bigcup^{\infty}_{k=n}A_k [/tex].
could someone explain this to me with a concrete example, or point me to a book that deals with sequence of sets and sequence of functions

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The definition you are concerned about simply says that if a point is any of the sets in the collection, it is in the sup, so the sup is then the union of all the sets in the collection. In other words, the sup is the smallest set containing all the points in any of the sets in the collection.

Uhm...I wrote a long post, but the program crashed...I'll try to recover some of it.
First, you can check the first chapter of Sidney Resnick - A probability path, for the definitions of [tex] \limsup [/tex] and [tex] \liminf [/tex]
Basically, the idea with those two animals is to capture the definition of a limit of a
set...[tex] \limsup [/tex] and [tex] \liminf [/tex] always exist, but the limit of a set exists only when: [tex] \limsup A_n = \liminf A_n [/tex] (and, of course, the limit of the set is defined to be equal to both).
If you check the definition for [tex] \limsup [/tex] the idea is to take the supremum of the sequence for each [tex] k \geq n [/tex] (which, as mathman said, is the smallest set from the group that contains all the elements) and the to try to bring it down, to check the limit from above. The idea with [tex] \liminf [/tex], on the other hand, is to take the limit from below. Check the definitions: For [tex] \limsup [/tex] you get the supremum with the unions and then you bring the set down with the intersections.
It's analogous to what you do with integrals...you always have the upper and the lower integral -in which you approach the integral from above and from below-, but the integral exists only -and it is defined that way- when those two approaches coincide.
Hope that helps,

cd

What is a limit of a set?

A limit of a set is the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input values get closer and closer to a certain value. It is often used to describe the behavior of a function near a specific point.

How is a limit of a set calculated?

A limit of a set is calculated by evaluating the function at values closer and closer to the limit point. This can be done numerically, graphically, or algebraically using various limit laws and techniques.

What is the difference between a one-sided and two-sided limit of a set?

A one-sided limit of a set only considers the behavior of the function as the input values approach the limit point from one direction, either from the left or the right. A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior from both directions.

When does a limit of a set not exist?

A limit of a set does not exist when the function has different values approaching the limit point from different directions. This is known as a jump discontinuity. It also does not exist if the function oscillates infinitely near the limit point, known as an oscillating discontinuity.

Why are limits of sets and functions important?

Limits of sets and functions are important because they help us understand the behavior of a function near a certain point, even if the function is undefined at that point. They also provide a foundation for more advanced concepts in calculus and analysis, such as derivatives and integrals.