Frictional Forces, Static Friction

In summary, block A and block B, with masses mA and mB respectively, are initially at rest on a horizontal floor and the horizontal top surface of A. The coefficient of static friction between the two blocks is μs. If block A is pulled with a horizontal force, it will begin to slide out from under B if the force applied is greater than μs(mA + mB)g. The static friction acts in the same direction as the applied force, and the normal force acting on block B is mB*g. To find the maximum static frictional force, multiply the normal force by μs. Using Newton's second law, we can solve for the acceleration of block B, and by invoking Newton's second law again
eprparadox

Homework Statement

Block A, with mass mA, is initially at rest on a horizontal floor. Block B, with mass mB, is
initially at rest on the horizontal top surface of A. The coefficient of static friction between the two blocks is μs. Block A is pulled with a horizontal force. It begins to slide out from under B if the force is greater than:
A. mA*g
B. mB*g
C. μs*mA*g
D. μs*mB*g
E. μs(mA +mB)g
Ans: E

Homework Equations

Ff(static, max) = μs*NormalForce;

The Attempt at a Solution

So the answer is already given as E, but I really want to understand this.

I'm confused on a couple of things. So if we pull on A too hard, then B will fall out behind it. Does this mean that the force of static friction is acting in the direction of the applied force F? And the normal force acting on mass B is just mB*g correct?

That's all I got. I'm a little stuck from there. Any help would be great. Thanks a lot ahead of time.

Physics news on Phys.org
eprparadox said:
So the answer is already given as E, but I really want to understand this.

I'm confused on a couple of things. So if we pull on A too hard, then B will fall out behind it. Does this mean that the force of static friction is acting in the direction of the applied force F?
Yes, the static friction is acting on block B, and it is in the same direction as the applied force F (where F is attached to block A). And it makes sense if you think about it. It has to be acting in the same direction, otherwise block B wouldn't be accelerating in the same direction as block A.
And the normal force acting on mass B is just mB*g correct?
Yes, that's right. :approve:
That's all I got. I'm a little stuck from there. Any help would be great. Thanks a lot ahead of time.
Well, you seem to already have most everything you need. You know what the normal force acting on B is. So you can find the maximum static frictional force that can occur too (which is the normal force times μs).

Using Newton's second law (FB = mBa), solve for the acceleration a, of block B.

Invoke Newton's second law one more time to solve for the total applied force F, after realizing that blocks A and B are both accelerating at same rate a. :wink:

(I'll leave all the appropriate substitutions up to you.)

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that resists the motion or attempted motion of an object. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surfaces of two objects that come into contact with each other.

2. What is static friction?

Static friction is a type of friction that occurs when there is no relative motion between two objects in contact. It acts in the opposite direction of the applied force and prevents the objects from sliding past each other.

3. How is static friction different from kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when there is no relative motion between two objects, while kinetic friction occurs when there is relative motion between two objects. Additionally, the magnitude of static friction is usually greater than the magnitude of kinetic friction.

4. What factors affect the strength of static friction?

The strength of static friction depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces. It also depends on the angle at which the force is applied and the presence of any external forces.

5. How can we reduce the effects of static friction?

One way to reduce the effects of static friction is by using lubricants between the two surfaces in contact. This reduces the frictional forces and allows for smoother motion. Another way is to increase the surface area of contact, which can distribute the force more evenly and reduce the overall frictional force.