What shape would the arcade classic Asteroids' universe be?

In summary, the conversation discusses a puzzle about the shape of a universe using the concept of Asteroids game, where flying off one side leads to reappearing on the opposite side. The options for the shape of the universe are a sphere, torus, or cylinder. The conversation also mentions a pictorial solution, but it is not explicitly described.
Blue_Jaunte
I heard this puzzle on the MathFactor podcast (which I highly recommend).

If you don't know what Asteroids is (somehow), here's a youtube video:

If you fly off the right side, you reappear on the left side, and vice versa. If you fly past through the bottom, you reappear at the top, and vice versa.

So, if this were a Universe, what would the shape be?
a. A sphere
b. A torus
c. A cylinder

I made a pictorial solution which I'll post after a few people have responded.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Too obvious, really undoubtedly simple.

Hello Blue_Jaunte,

This is a fairly classic example\problem and probably many people know the answer but I am interested in seeing the solution you came up with.

Correct.

Obviously my answer was too clever and has been wasted.

Borek said:
Not everyone is into acrostics.

Borek said:

Ha ha. Right over my head.

1. What is the shape of the universe in the arcade classic Asteroids?

The universe in Asteroids is typically represented as a two-dimensional plane, similar to a traditional video game layout. However, some versions of the game do have a slight curvature to the edges of the play area, giving it a more circular shape.

2. Are there any physical laws or rules that determine the shape of the universe in Asteroids?

No, the shape of the universe in Asteroids is purely a design choice and does not follow any specific physical laws or rules. The game is meant to be a fun and challenging experience, rather than a scientifically accurate depiction of the universe.

3. Does the shape of the universe in Asteroids affect gameplay?

Yes, the shape of the universe in Asteroids can greatly impact gameplay. A flat, two-dimensional plane allows for easier navigation and movement, while a curved shape can add an extra level of difficulty and strategy as players must consider the curvature of the play area when maneuvering their ship.

4. Is the shape of the universe in Asteroids based on any real-life astronomical concepts?

No, the universe in Asteroids is not based on any real-life astronomical concepts. The game was created in 1979, when our understanding of outer space was much more limited, and the goal was to create a fun and engaging game rather than an accurate scientific representation.

5. Has the shape of the universe in Asteroids changed in different versions of the game?

Yes, the shape of the universe in Asteroids has varied in different versions of the game. Some versions have a completely flat play area, while others have a slightly curved shape. Additionally, newer versions of the game may have different graphics and designs that may alter the appearance of the universe. However, the basic concept of a two-dimensional play area has remained consistent throughout all versions of the game.