Length of bar needed to lift a crate(Torque, static equilibrium problem)

In summary, a large crate weighing 4520 N rests on four 12-cm-high blocks on a horizontal surface. The crate is 2.0 m long, 1.2 m high, and 1.2 m deep. The task is to estimate the length of a steel pry bar needed to lift one end of the crate, assuming a maximum force of 500 N can be applied and the pry bar is massless. The fulcrum on the pry bar is 11 cm from the end that lifts the crate. The sum of forces and torques must be zero for the crate to be lifted successfully. The forces exerting torque on the pry bar are the applied force of 500N, the reaction force
Raziel2701

Homework Statement

A large crate weighing 4520 N rests on four 12-cm-high blocks on a horizontal surface (figure below). The crate is 2.0 m long, 1.2 m high, and 1.2 m deep. You are asked to lift one end of the crate using a long steel pry bar. The fulcrum on the pry bar is 11 cm from the end that lifts the crate. Estimate the length of the bar you will need to lift the end of the crate. (Assume the maximum force you can apply is 500 N and that the pry bar is massless. Also assume that the bend I am the pry bar is negligible.)

Here's a picture of the setup: http://imgur.com/DtZh2

The Attempt at a Solution

Sum of forces on crate about y direction:

-4520 + N = 0

Sum of torques should be zero. My question is , what forces are exerting torques? So if I push down on the prybar, I push up on the crate, so my pushing down on the prybar exerts a torque on the bar along its length right?

So I have FL being one torque, where F is my 500N and L is the length of the prybar I wish to solve for.

So what else would be exerting torque? Because so far I have the sum of forces in the y direction, the one torque from my applied force but that's not enough.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

What is static equilibrium?

Static equilibrium is a state in which all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and no acceleration. In other words, the object is at rest or moving at a constant velocity.

How is torque related to static equilibrium?

Torque plays a key role in determining if an object is in static equilibrium. For an object to be in static equilibrium, the sum of all torques acting on the object must be equal to zero. This means that the clockwise torques must be balanced by the counterclockwise torques.

What factors affect the length of bar needed to lift a crate?

The length of bar needed to lift a crate is affected by the weight of the crate, the distance from the center of mass of the crate to the point where the force is applied, and the amount of force being applied.

How can the length of bar needed to lift a crate be calculated?

The length of bar needed to lift a crate can be calculated by using the formula: length = force x distance / weight. This formula takes into account the weight of the crate, the distance from the center of mass to the point where the force is applied, and the amount of force being applied.