Understanding Steam at High Pressures: Enthalpy and Volume Explained

• Thread starter Dogberry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Steam
In summary: This is because at higher pressures, more of the steam has condensed into liquid form, which has lower enthalpy than vapor. This explains why the enthalpy decreases even though the temperature remains constant.In summary, when the pressure is halved from 40bar to 20bar at a constant temperature of 350C, the specific volume of steam doubles from 66.4 m^3/kg to 138.56 m^3/kg. However, the enthalpy decreases from 3095 kJ/kg to 3138.6 kJ/kg. This is because at
Dogberry
Hi,

Can someone please explain this to me:

Looking at the steam tables, if I have steam at 40bar and 350C then the specific volume is ~66.4 m^3/kg and enthalpy is 3095 kJ/kg.

If I halve the pressure to 20bar (still at 350C), thus 'doubling' the specific volume to 138.56 m^3/kg, the enthalpy becomes 3138.6 kJ/kg.

Two questions:

1. The volume is not exactly double, it's more than that, and while understand this is not an ideal gas, my understanding of the compressibility factor led me to believe the volume should be greater than expected at higher pressures. This is the other way round.

2. From my understanding of enthalpy: h = U + PV, because the volume has 'doubled' and the pressure has halved, the enthalpy should have stayed approximately constant. It doesn't. In fact, to achieve the same enthalpy, I would need to drop the temperature to 330C (@20bar). I don't understand why, where is this drop captured in the equation? Surely lower temperature = lower enthalpy?

Any help will be greatly appreciated and thank you for your time!

Ed

Physics news on Phys.org

Dogberry said:
Hi,

Can someone please explain this to me:

Looking at the steam tables, if I have steam at 40bar and 350C then the specific volume is ~66.4 m^3/kg and enthalpy is 3095 kJ/kg.

If I halve the pressure to 20bar (still at 350C), thus 'doubling' the specific volume to 138.56 m^3/kg, the enthalpy becomes 3138.6 kJ/kg.

Two questions:

1. The volume is not exactly double, it's more than that, and while understand this is not an ideal gas, my understanding of the compressibility factor led me to believe the volume should be greater than expected at higher pressures. This is the other way round.

2. From my understanding of enthalpy: h = U + PV, because the volume has 'doubled' and the pressure has halved, the enthalpy should have stayed approximately constant. It doesn't. In fact, to achieve the same enthalpy, I would need to drop the temperature to 330C (@20bar). I don't understand why, where is this drop captured in the equation? Surely lower temperature = lower enthalpy?

Any help will be greatly appreciated and thank you for your time!
Start with dH = dU + d(PV). So [itex]\Delta H = \int dH = \Delta U +
\int VdP + \int PdV[/itex]

If [itex]\int Pdv + \int VdP = 0[/itex] there is no change in enthalpy if temperature is constant.
But for steam, this is not the case because it is not an ideal gas. [itex]\int Pdv + \int VdP > 0[/itex]. As you compress saturated steam, some of the steam condenses.

AM

1. What is the state of steam at 40 bar and 350°C?

At 40 bar and 350°C, steam is in a superheated state, meaning it exists as a gas and is above its boiling point at atmospheric pressure.

2. What is the specific volume of steam at these conditions?

The specific volume of steam at 40 bar and 350°C is approximately 0.026 m^3/kg.

3. How does the enthalpy of steam change at 40 bar and 350°C?

The enthalpy of steam increases at 40 bar and 350°C due to its superheated state. This means that it contains more energy than it would at its boiling point at atmospheric pressure.

4. What is the quality of steam at 40 bar and 350°C?

The quality of steam at these conditions is 100%, meaning it is completely dry and free of any liquid water.

5. What is the density of steam at 40 bar and 350°C?

The density of steam at these conditions is approximately 3.2 kg/m^3. This is significantly lower than the density of liquid water, which is 1000 kg/m^3.