Switching/circuit breaker circuits

• Thread starter thavamaran
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits
In summary: It should be in a way that, if I supply a pulse with pulsewidth of 100 kHz, it should switch off exactly at the falling edge of the 100 kHz. Is it possible?Yes, 100 Khz should be very doable, but keep in mind there will be some finite switching time.
thavamaran
Hi guys, I am Thava. I am working in optical communication. Currently I want to design a circuit to turn of couple of inputs to my laser.

Say I have a supply of 5V to two pins of the laser, anode and cathode (pin 1 and pin 2). And then a bias current to another pin (pin 3).

At some interval of time, I want to switch off the 5 V input to cathode and of course anode is grounded; also switch off the input bias current.

The switching off time should be in about 100 kHz, and it should be controllable. It should be in a way that, if I supply a pulse with pulsewidth of 100 kHz, it should switch off exactly at the falling edge of the 100 kHz. Is it possible?

And the switching time should vary, like I can always change the switching time.

I just need some suggestions, ideas and discussion. I have so many ideas on doing it, but can't choose a proper way, so I just need some guidance. It will be much appreciated! Thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
thavamaran said:
It should be in a way that, if I supply a pulse with pulsewidth of 100 kHz, it should switch off exactly at the falling edge of the 100 kHz. Is it possible?

Yes, 100 Khz should be very doable, but keep in mind there will be some finite switching time. Do you have any requirements regarding the "off" and "on" resistances of the switch? What about the amount of current going through?

The simplest type of switch just uses a single MOSFET - when you apply a gate voltage above the threshold, it has a very small resistance between source and drain. When you apply zero volts, it has a higher resistance.

One can then build more complex circuits uses multiple transistors to give a lower on-resistance and higher off-resistance, but at the cost of a slower response.

thavamaran said:
And the switching time should vary, like I can always change the switching time.

Sort of - there will be an upper limit on the frequency of the control signal. If you increase the frequency too high, a practical switch won't be able to keep up - it will always be somewhere between "fully on" and "fully off", because of the internal capacitance.

Thanks very much for your reply!

but keep in mind there will be some finite switching time. Do you have any requirements regarding the "off" and "on" resistances of the switch? What about the amount of current going through?

May I ask what you meant by finite switching time? At the moment, there is no requirements on on and off resistance, may I also ask why I need this?

Current rating would be from 40 mA to 150 mA.

Do you have any reference circuits or model that will feed into this applications? I need to a circuit to start with. Thank you.

1. What is a switching/circuit breaker circuit?

A switching/circuit breaker circuit is a type of electrical circuit that allows for the control and protection of electricity flow. It uses a switch or a circuit breaker to open or close the circuit, thus controlling the flow of electricity.

2. How does a switching/circuit breaker circuit work?

A switching/circuit breaker circuit works by using a switch or a circuit breaker to either connect or disconnect the flow of electricity in a circuit. When the switch is closed or the circuit breaker is on, electricity can flow through the circuit. When the switch is open or the circuit breaker is off, the flow of electricity is interrupted, thus turning off the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of a switching/circuit breaker circuit?

The purpose of a switching/circuit breaker circuit is to control the flow of electricity and protect the circuit from damage. By opening or closing the circuit, it can prevent overloading and short circuits, which can lead to electrical fires or damage to electrical equipment.

4. What are the different types of switches used in switching/circuit breaker circuits?

There are several types of switches that can be used in switching/circuit breaker circuits, including toggle switches, rocker switches, push-button switches, and rotary switches. Each type of switch has its own design and function, but they all work to open or close the circuit in some way.

5. Can a switching/circuit breaker circuit be used for both AC and DC circuits?

Yes, a switching/circuit breaker circuit can be used for both AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) circuits. However, the type of switch or circuit breaker used may differ depending on the type of current being used. For example, AC circuits may use a different type of circuit breaker than DC circuits due to the differences in how each type of current flows.