Allocated capacity calculation

In summary, Nick has a question about finding a formula to calculate the percentage of total capacity a user is requesting in a Shared Server environment. The formula suggested by AI is to normalize each variable and multiply them, adding factors for more precision. Nick will also post in the software section for more answers.
Nick Curtis
:shy: Can anyone help? I have an interesting issue. I've chosen to study maths and computer science and one of the problems I've been asked to solve, potentially using a 3D Modeling formula is:

In a Shared Server environment, where total capacity of a server is measured by total CPU capacity, total disk capacity and total memory capacity, I need a formula to help me understand how much each user is requesting of the total capacity.

By example:
On a single server total CPU is 2.88 Ghz, 16Gb Memory and 146Gb of Disk Space.
I have a user who only wants to use 1Ghz CPU, 2Gb Mem and 2Gb of Disk Space. What formula can I use that tells me what percentage of the total capacity of the machine this person is requiring?

thanks for any help
Nick

Mathematics news on Phys.org
A pretty naive formula i can think of is,
Normalise each variable and multiply them up and multiply by 100 ...

In your example, this would mean,
(1/2.88 * 2/16 * 2/146)*100

A much more precision in analysis may be obtained if we add some factors,
(1/2.88 * (x+2/16) * (y+2/146))*100

where x(<=1) and y(<=1) are factors that may be manually adjusted to suit the requirements. (The x and y factors are added because disk space requirements are harsher than physical memory requirements and much much harsher than CPU requirements)

-- AI
P.S -> You prolly should have posted this in software section where u could have got a few more answers.

thanks

thanks for the reply. At least I have some idea now but I'll post in the software section as well.

cheers
Nick

1. How is allocated capacity calculated?

Allocated capacity is calculated by dividing the total available resources by the number of resources allocated to each task or project. This can vary depending on the specific method or formula used by the organization or individual.

2. What factors are considered in allocated capacity calculation?

The factors considered in allocated capacity calculation can include the number of team members, their availability, their skills and expertise, and the estimated time required for each task or project. Other factors may also be taken into account, such as budget constraints and project priorities.

3. Is allocated capacity calculation the same as resource allocation?

No, allocated capacity calculation is not the same as resource allocation. Allocated capacity calculation is the process of determining the amount of resources needed for a particular task or project, while resource allocation is the actual distribution of those resources to the different tasks or projects.

4. Can allocated capacity be adjusted during a project?

Yes, allocated capacity can be adjusted during a project. As projects progress and priorities change, it may be necessary to reallocate resources to different tasks or projects. This can be done by recalculating the allocated capacity based on the new requirements and adjusting the resource allocation accordingly.

5. What are the benefits of using allocated capacity calculation?

Using allocated capacity calculation can help organizations and individuals effectively manage their resources and ensure that tasks and projects are completed on time and within budget. It can also help identify any potential resource constraints or bottlenecks, allowing for proactive planning and problem-solving.