Find all integer solutions to

• Thread starter vadiraja
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integer
In summary, the problem asks to find all integer solutions to a system of five non-linear equations. After trying various methods, including using Wolfram Alpha and MATLAB, it was found that the problem is computationally complex and cannot be solved analytically. The number of solutions for complex numbers is finite and cannot be determined. The problem's background includes various mathematical texts on nonlinear dynamics, mathematical physics, mechanics, and analysis.
vadiraja
Find all integer solutions to ...

Homework Statement

Find all integer solutions to
[tex]\begin{array}{l}
{a^2} = a + b - 2c + 2d + e - 8\\
{b^2} = - a - 2b - c + 2d + 2e - 6\\
{c^2} = 3a + 2b + c + 2d + 2e - 31\\
{d^2} = 2a + b + c + 2d + 2e - 2\\
{e^2} = a + 2b + 3c + 2d + e - 8
\end{array}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I am using wolframalpha to find solutions(there are a finite number of them). I have to just find all the solution pairs that are integer.(Just type in the equations). But I have to say that all the wolfram alpha solutions are the only solutions. I want to do this by finding the number of solutions this equations have(for complex numbers). We know since that these are 5 equations with 5 unknowns, there are a finite number of solutions If I can find that this equation has let's say 32 solutions(made up number) theoretical, and I come up with 32 solutions in wolfram alpha, then I have met my goal and I can simply pick out the integer solutions.

But apparently it is too computationally complex no matter what you do. I even ran the system in MATLAB and after 3 hours, my fans on the computers started going really fast my computer shut down. So that is not going to work and I can't use brute force. But how does one try this analytically.

To all my helpers: Please don't tell me I didn't try on this problem. I have spent the whole day on it

Background:(so you know what you can help me with in the solution)
Ali Nayfeh Balakumar Balachandran Applied Nonlinear Dynamics
Strogatz Nonlinear Dynamics
Methods of mathematical Physics Courant and Hilbert
Mary Boas Mathematical Methods in Physical Sciences
Mechanics, Quantum Mechanics, Statistical Mechanics by Landau and Liftgarbagez
A Course of Pure Mathematics by G.H. Hardy
Walter Rudin Real and Complex Analysis
Walter Rudin Real analysis

Physics news on Phys.org

I am glad to hear you have worked hard on it. How about telling us what you did and what results you got?

What is the meaning of "Find all integer solutions to"?

The phrase "find all integer solutions to" refers to the process of finding all possible values of a variable or set of variables that satisfy a given equation or system of equations, where those values must be integers (whole numbers).

Why is finding integer solutions important?

Finding integer solutions is important in many fields of science and mathematics, as it allows us to understand and describe relationships between variables in a precise and quantitative way. It is particularly useful in fields such as number theory, cryptography, and optimization problems.

What are the steps to finding all integer solutions to an equation?

The steps to finding all integer solutions to an equation depend on the specific equation or system of equations. However, a general approach includes analyzing the equation, identifying any patterns or relationships, and using algebraic techniques to manipulate the equation and solve for the unknown variable(s). This may involve factoring, substitution, or other methods.

Are there any limitations to finding all integer solutions to an equation?

Yes, there are certain limitations to finding all integer solutions to an equation. Some equations may have an infinite number of solutions, making it impossible to list all of them. In addition, some equations may not have any integer solutions at all. It is important to carefully analyze the equation and its properties before attempting to find all integer solutions.

How can computer programs help in finding all integer solutions?

Computer programs can be very helpful in finding all integer solutions to equations, particularly those with multiple variables or complex relationships. These programs use algorithms and mathematical techniques to systematically search for and calculate all possible solutions, making the process much faster and more efficient than solving by hand. However, it is still important for scientists to understand the underlying concepts and techniques used by these programs in order to accurately interpret and apply the results.